Skip to main content
Topic: Georgia... (Read 2357 times) previous topic - next topic

Georgia...

does anyone know anything about this state.

I am thinking of moving out of michigan and would like to know if anyone knows how jobs for IT and Teaching are. If I am moving out of state, I want to go warmer. Standard of living, how jobs are going, general appeal of the state. NO TEXAS, or florida, or alabama, preferably by water of some sort.

I don't know much about states outside of the good old auto state, but since US automakers have turned michigan into one giant flint, it might be time to look elsewhere.

OH! and car laws.. cause you know, i know jack about emissions cause michigan has no laws.

thanks guys and gals any advice or hints or anything would be greatly appreciated.;)

Georgia...

Reply #1
All I know about Georgia IT-wise is that Atlanta is supposed to be a major Net hub. Probably quite a few jobs there as a result.

Georgia...

Reply #3
yes. but how are the jobs in kansas...

Georgia...

Reply #4
atlanta has jobs but is BIG.... and i mean that in a bad way, they need an interstate bypass for their existing interstate bypass because of all the traffic and it gets HOT in the summer, that's why they call it hot-lanta down here....  being an ex-truck driver and having been just about everywhere (including moving from detroit last year to goto south carolina)... i'd have to tell you to move to Charlotte, North Carolina...... good IT job market, small BigCity feel, multiple major interstate access, and the weather is bearably cold enough in the winter and bearably hot in the summer, plus they have ALL 4 SEASONS (something i missed in detroit).....  also, it's about an hour from major mountian destinations and less than 4 hours from major beaches... plus there are major lakes nearby that you can visit.......  check it out

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Georgia...

Reply #5
Virginia!  Unless you live in the DC area there are no smog tests.  They have visual inspections for emmissions equipment (if they actually do it).  It's pretty similar to North Carolina, has both the mountains and beaches.  Has all 4 seasons as well.  My dad was from Ann Arbor, Michigan and always says he misses the Michigan summers b/c it's "so hot down here" - I never think it's so bad.  I have lived without a/c in my car for 6 years and it hasn't killed me yet.  But he doesn't miss the rusty cars or snow all winter long.  Depending on what part of Virginia you live in, the east almost never sees snow, maybe 2-3 inches a year.  The west in the mountains gets more, but probably only 2 or 3 good snows a year - all less than a foot - and they melt within a week usually.  Last new years I think we had 60s and 70s all week.
Foxless :(

Georgia...

Reply #6
I can stand at my door a spit across the tn/ga line:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Georgia...

Reply #7
been down that stretch of 24 many times, tenn, then 20 miles of ga, then tenn again, chatanooga then ga again.......  SEE 7 STATES FROM ROCK CITY :)... i loved those barn signs... now THOSE are some hills :)

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Georgia...

Reply #8
Quote from: mywifeskitty
been down that stretch of 24 many times, tenn, then 20 miles of ga, then tenn again, chatanooga then ga again.......  SEE 7 STATES FROM ROCK CITY :)... i loved those barn signs... now THOSE are some hills :)

yup, im right in between 75 and 24 :)

:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Georgia...

Reply #9
I lived in Warner-Robbins (16mi south of Macon) about 14 years ago. There was no smog test then... at least around there. It's a good place to keep your car rust free. Summer is HOT and humid as hell. I remember there being a bad ass thunderstorm once a day for around 30 min at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon in the spring and summer. That probably hasn't changed... heheh.

I liked it there, very pretty state and nice people.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Georgia...

Reply #10
I loved georgia when I visited there many times as a kid but then it was only for a max of 2 weeks at a time. As far as Kansas I love our smog laws I had a ring problem where I was blowing smoke out the back of the car going uphill and the cop just waved and smiled and went on by. Jobs are a bit harder to come by for me as Im not legally qualified to do anything I know a little about alot but dont have any papers showing that I know what I know.The people are overly nice as well here I'm used to back home in Missouri where they seem to always act like you have some disease or something. Here they act like they've known you for years. Theres plenty of jobs for health care and drivers of all sorts around here. Where as Ive been told I could get a job in georgia starting at 12 bucks an hour which is about twice of what I started at here and the places I looked at to rent are about 100 bucks more a month for rent. It was extremely hot down there when I was there last but that's what swimming pools are for.The part I hated was it rained for about 4 days straight as well then was humid as all hell for the rest of the time I was there.
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

94 Lincoln Towncar, Dark Metallic Green, 4.6L AOD
SOLD!!!!

99 Mercury Cougar. V6 MTX75 Trans. CURRENT PROJECT DAILY DRIVER.

Georgia...

Reply #11
I will have to agree and say Charlotte, North Carolina or Lexington, Virgina. These two places would top my list for IT work and location.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Georgia...

Reply #12
I think Charlotte would be a good choice too.  But then again, I'm a little biased.  ;)

Tons of IT jobs in and around Research Triangle Park too.  Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are all right next to each other.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Georgia...

Reply #13
Just a suggestion go to your local library and see if they have videos you can borrow about the states. The one here in town had one on Atlanta that I had the girlfriend watch when we were talking about moving to georgia.
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

94 Lincoln Towncar, Dark Metallic Green, 4.6L AOD
SOLD!!!!

99 Mercury Cougar. V6 MTX75 Trans. CURRENT PROJECT DAILY DRIVER.

Georgia...

Reply #14
I hear yah man, we are leaving Detroit just as soon as my g/f gets her masters. I've only been here 10 months and I'm ready to leave. lol. We will prolly be moving back to Alabama or Georgia. The only thing I don't miss about the South is the weekly Tornado sirens in the Spring/Fall.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver