Skip to main content
Topic: Update on my 86 (Read 2182 times) previous topic - next topic

Update on my 86

Went to pick it up yesterday and do some serious work on it. I finally get the keys and get everything ready to drive it to my Highschool to work on it in shop. Get in(the car is really dirty and some things are a little iffy in the interior). Anywho I put the key in, the speaker pops like it has, click. Dead battery. Go get jumper cables. Get it started, runs rough as hell, what can you expect for a year of sitting. turn it off after about 10 min. Unhook jumpers. DEAD. So now I have to tow it, and figure out if its just lack of running, alternator, or what is causing it to die so easily. Plus that  popping from that speaker when i put the key in and turn it to auxilary. Also where is the thing for the keyless entry. I need to figure out if it still works?
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Update on my 86

Reply #1
I think the control box for your keyless entry is in the trunk. There should be a panel near the back seat which holds the system boxes, such as keyless, illuminated, etc...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Update on my 86

Reply #2
Well I towed it. Battery is toast. Car is in alot better condition than I even thought(minor inspection as of yet). Replaced header panel, roof is down to primer and metal, interior is really rough, and that  popping. I will have it running Monday, get the kinks out. Need to replace the 02 sensor. Hopefully have a decent car to play with since the 84 is staying stock(well sort of)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Update on my 86

Reply #3
Well, after jumping it. I found out that the o2 sensor is in dire need of replacement, floods itself so horribly I burnt about 2 gallons in 10 min. The valve cover gaskets are shot, and oil streams out. The interior needs a major cleaning. One of the hubcaps was somehow destroyed in the trunk. The stereo surround is somewhat attached, there is a paperclip jammed into one of the EQ buttons, the ash tray front is lying on the floor, and I just want to get this  battery charged. Anyone want it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Update on my 86

Reply #4
the car or the battery? :D
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

94 Lincoln Towncar, Dark Metallic Green, 4.6L AOD
SOLD!!!!

99 Mercury Cougar. V6 MTX75 Trans. CURRENT PROJECT DAILY DRIVER.

Update on my 86

Reply #5
Right now the car, Im keeping the battery.:yuck: Actually I just think the battery is shot. But I dont care at the moment, I have a day off of school tomorow. Anyone want pics of my dads Chevelle. Im gonna get it out of the storage unit tomorow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Update on my 86

Reply #6
Pics nothin I want a ride in it :D and what you want for the car I need another one lol
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

SOLD!!!!

Update on my 86

Reply #7
Well as it turns out I didnt get the car out today. BUT, I will be working on the 86 tomorow during school. So Friday looks to be Doomsday on the chevelle. I might even be able to be nice and lay some black marks by your house.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Update on my 86

Reply #9
Quote from: cougrrr302
I might even be able to be nice and lay some black marks by your house.

with the tires? or the tailpipes? :giggle:

Update on my 86

Reply #10
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack
with the tires? or the tailpipes? :giggle:

Not the Cougar, the Chevelle. If you had 4.10 posi and a 402 you would too. That thing hauls major ass.

Quote from: 88turbo
what are you wanting for the 86 Nathan? I could really use a second car.

I dont know if Im selling it just yet. I need the money yes. It doesnt run by itself. I got the battery problem all fixed today, and that thing has so much torque. Let me work on it and get it running right. I want that prochamber on here, I want a loud car dammit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Update on my 86

Reply #11
I still need to know how to fix the popping in the door speaker when I turn on the tape deck, how to remove oil from carpet, and why it burns so much fuel. Is the o2 sensor the main culprit other than timing?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Update on my 86

Reply #12
Well hey I can answer some of those questions. Fix the speaker by unplugging it. The oil fix by dying the carpet a color that actually hides it. And on the O2 sensor plug a tester up to the EEC and see what codes it kicks back.  I think they sell the machines at wal mart not sure though havent messed around in that section for awhile we used to carry the one for our cars though. If not check the part stores here in town they might have one.

SOLD!!!!

Update on my 86

Reply #13
Oh, just grab a 2" piece of wire, find the test connectors (should be up by the strut tower), and use the "Check Engine" light method.

Plug the wire in, turn on the key, and count the flashes (and the pauses between groups).

Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Update on my 86

Reply #14
Quote from: cougrrr302
Not the Cougar, the Chevelle. If you had 4.10 posi and a 402 you would too. That thing hauls major ass. 

what year bro? just curious

Ive got a '66