Skip to main content
Topic: Look what happened to my car (Read 1353 times) previous topic - next topic

Look what happened to my car

Well guys I was driving and i heard this loud banging sound. I smell something burning and my battery light came on and my temp jumped to 230 i turned the car off and popped the hood and found the smog pump pulley gone... the pump locked up and the belt took the plastic off.

Well I need a new alternator because the rubber from the belt is stuck in the grooves of the pulley and it wont come off. Also the crank pulley has rubber in some of the grooves im not sure how to get the rubber out of the grooves?? Anyone have any ideas? So far this day has cost me $288  I dont think I blew headgaskets I turned it off in time.  All the fluids look ok.

Pics below

Reply #1
Why are you replacing the alternator just because there's rubber stuck in the grooves of the pulley?

I would think a wire wheel would take the rubber out of the pulleys that it's stuck in...or that you could se it out with a screwdriver...or something :confused:

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #2
That's one tough belt! 

As for the alternator, you can replace the pulley if you can't get the rubber all off (you can try burning it all off).

Reply #3
I had an almost identical experience in my '94 Mazda B2300 (Ranger). The P/S delete pulley locked up. The belt had so much tension that it literally ripped the outer part of the pulley from the center part. Think shredded plastic everywhere.
I was able to nurse it home and replace the part.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
Quote from: Red_LX
Why are you replacing the alternator just because there's rubber stuck in the grooves of the pulley?

I would think a wire wheel would take the rubber out of the pulleys that it's stuck in...or that you could se it out with a screwdriver...or something :confused:

I tryed sing it out with a screw driver didnt help I tried my pocket knive it helped a little, I ended up breaking part of the grooves in the alternator pulley.  I know I could replace the alternator pulley, but this is the original motorcraft alternator and it was starting to make noise anyway. Good Idea about the wire wheel never thought of that

Reply #5
i doubt you blew a head gasket, i ran mine for over an hour without any coolant anywhere near the engine, and it ran out of oil during the drive home without the coolant in it... and well, it runs perfectly fine now... as lucky as i am that i didnt sieze up or screw up anything... but that just goes to show you how tough the 5.0 v8 is...

Reply #6
sounds like a good time to loose the smog pump & get a set of underdrive pullys.
After you put the U/D pullys on buy a smaller belt to eliminate the air pump.

Reply #7
Quote from: Innes
sounds like a good time to loose the smog pump & get a set of underdrive pullys.
After you put the U/D pullys on buy a smaller belt to eliminate the air pump.

that was my idea too, replace that alt pully and get a ud crank pully or something. just dont replace the entire alt because theirs rubber in the groves, unless your upgrading to a g3 or something.

Reply #8
my smog pump is siezed, and the ac compressor is removed, so basicly i have a realy small belt on there, its 27inches if anyone else needs to know how long a belt would be for the 5.0l with the smog pump and ac compressor removed...

how much do UD pullys run?

Reply #9
summit sell a A/C Eliminator bracket. that you must use to eliminate both smog pump & A/C. It relocates your power stearing pump to where the a/c position is. they say the belt you need is GTR-4060735, i believe its a 73 1/2 inchs.

Reply #10
Quote from: 88cougarxr7
my smog pump is siezed, and the ac compressor is removed, so basicly i have a realy small belt on there, its 27inches if anyone else needs to know how long a belt would be for the 5.0l with the smog pump and ac compressor removed...

how much do UD pullys run?

And I bet your car runs hot as hell.
One 88

Reply #11
The smog pump on my ranger did that. It was on its own seperate belt tho. It broke and wrapped around the fan while I was on the highway. Scared the shiznite out of me and killed the the shroud.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #12
hmm, I have never grenaded my fan shrowd. Couple of belts though. Took me a while to realize it was the belt tensioner.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
The shroud in the Ranger was just this little plastic cover that kept ya from puttin your hand in the fan. I think the belt knocked it loose and the fan finished it.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #14
Hey everyone thanks for the replys,, Car is fixed :) Smog pump is bye bye :cool:  I got a shorter belt. I used a wire wheel from a drill to get the rubber off the pulleys. I bought a new alternator because the old one was going out anyways. So far so good car is running great! Cats are going to be the next thing to remove :)