Skip to main content
Topic: Ecu (Read 1457 times) previous topic - next topic

Ecu

Does anyone know a place i can send my ecu in to get it chipped? anyone in the city of tampa preferably but if its some place i gotta mail it off thats fine too

Ecu

Reply #1
well, you could get your ecm  reflashed, but what'd be the point...
It won't do jack for your engine, though, unless you're running some kind of performance part that the sd computer can't compensate for, like bigger injectors, for example...
The best way to increase power with the least amount of money, time or work, or a combo of all three, is to drop in a 5.0...
chips are the last step to take in any kind of situation...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Ecu

Reply #2
Alright mr forboy I know a guy in Bradenton that has a twin turbo v6 mustang that runs 10's.  If you wan't to go fast you would have to talk to him.

On a second note.  In stock configuration I would say that the CFI is your biggest restriction.  You could swap to the 88 up setup wich should better but i'm not sure.  I know those years made more power though.  If your car has the same y pipe as mine than I would ditch that thing.  Its got 3 cats and 2 inch pipes.  That would net a bigger increase than a "chip".  And as Shawn said to one of your other posts "get out of the chip = power rut"  Only would that make a difference if that cam of yours has a long duration that causes you to have low intake vaspoogee.
One 88

Ecu

Reply #3
They cant chip it. There is no software available to tune the CFI computer, and there never was.

All this stupid "chip talk" makes me want to go with a carb.
It's Gumby's fault.

Ecu

Reply #4
glad to see you joined up here Chris. this is john from tr. stick around, lots of great people here
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

Ecu

Reply #5
Venom 400 chip module??? form summit racing?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Ecu

Reply #6
Quote from: Carpimp1987
Venom 400 chip module??? form summit racing?

Venom modules to absolutely Jack shiznit!!!!  My buddy sank 300 bucks on one for his truck and guess what.  A $300 blinking light.
One 88

Ecu

Reply #7
Chips don't do a  thing thing for a stock engine, just like using a higher octane gas, it's a complete waste of time AND money...just like these threads about chipping a stock engine are.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Ecu

Reply #8
These threads are a waste of money?? :D since when? lol just put a supercharged nitrous injected V8 under the hood and you'll have all the power you need and not have to worry about what chip to buy to make more power. Cause ummmm appearently,, they dont do anything.:D
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

94 Lincoln Towncar, Dark Metallic Green, 4.6L AOD
SOLD!!!!

99 Mercury Cougar. V6 MTX75 Trans. CURRENT PROJECT DAILY DRIVER.

Ecu

Reply #9
Quote from: 87fordboy
Does anyone know a place i can send my ecu in to get it chipped? anyone in the city of tampa preferably but if its some place i gotta mail it off thats fine too

Forget the chip, easiest and cheapest is let the car breath a little better intake @ exhaust. And advance your timing a few degrees. Then put in a shift kit for the tranny.
All a chip does is advance the timing and richen the fuel which you can’t do w/CFI.
I like CougarSE idea of switching to an 88"SEFI set up.

Ecu

Reply #10
Take into consideration you will have to change the cylinder heads as well.  Unlike a 5.0 the injectors go through the heads not the intake.
One 88