Skip to main content
Topic: So much work...and no progress... (Read 2473 times) previous topic - next topic

So much work...and no progress...

Reply #15
No 351 for me. Too much weight up in the front of the car. I actually enjoy turning, and i like to have some sort of a weight balance.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #16
What, you mean you actually like that 70/30 weight distribution? :p
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #17
And with a 351, it would be 90/10, and id need some mega brakes.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #18
or even the gay ass alphabet cam

If you feel that way about them why would you throw one in?  I feel the same way about em.  I used a trick flow cam.  Check out that Crower 15511.  A lot of people swear by it.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #19
Quote from: Paul Flockhart
If you feel that way about them why would you throw one in?  I feel the same way about em.  I used a trick flow cam.  Check out that Crower 15511.  A lot of people swear by it.

You can find em cheap.

If i were looking for power, id have this 5.0 in the machine shop, balanced, blueprinted, some aluminum heads, a custom ground cam, and all that. I just want to get a 5.0 in the car, something better than a stock 5.0, and play around for a while untill i can afford more. Having a car that can barely move under its own power sucks bad.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #20
Sucks dude, better take a break.

The exploere cam more like the cam on 1993-1995 Cobras.  I'd just get the Lincoln motor, freshen it up, and be ready for a mild turbo in the future.  HO cams and turbos are such a nice combo...
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #21
I have all the HO components as it is, so i could do any combo i want

the reason for the explorer engine, is that itll have the GT40P heads, and the HO short block. Ill be able to more cam selection, and have better flowing heads...and i can get them for the same price at the junkyard

So its like "do i want to sleep with this hot girl, or do i want to sleep with this hot girl who can hold a conversation, and will make me breakfast in the morning?"
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #22
food is always good after sleep

Reply #23
can you just tap the hole one size bigger, same with the head? I dunno how well this would work, but just throwing it out there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #24
If i do that, id have to drill out the head also.

Decided not to waste my time putting all that into an SO with SO pistons. All the time it would take to heli coil, clean, and hope none of the other threads pull out, i could just as easily get the explorer engine, have better heads, better pistons, and a better platform to build on.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #25
yes but will the explorer motors have the heads when you get to them... :D

Reply #26
You couldnt get an intake manifold off, and you want to talk about pulling heads ;)
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #27
not my fault the motor was all fubared in the engine bay. :mad:

Reply #29
Sucks to hear Shawn. 

As a little bit of advise, I recommend the E7's over the P's for a mild 5.0 street engine.  I've used both, and the E7's have noticeably better low end grunt, plus you don't have to worry about special headers.  If you're putting in a larger cam though, then I guess the P's will be a good match.