Skip to main content
Topic: AOD shifting weird (Read 1644 times) previous topic - next topic

AOD shifting weird

Well, it seems that after coming back 700 miles without any problems, the tranny in my '87 is trying to give me trouble. I was driving to Taco Hell tonight, and after getting the food(?) I drove off, only to be confronted by these symptoms:

- while on the gas lightly, it wouldn't shift up from first like usual, but instead kept up until maybe 3-4000 RPM before doing so.
- I let off the gas to make it shift, and it did, but then between the moment I pressed the accelerator pedal and the moment I felt the car accelerating there was a slight delay during which the engine just revved.
- I stopped, shifted into P, then R - clunked hard, then N, then OD - clunked hard again, and then D. Drove off, same symptoms. Kept the RPMS as low as possible all the way home.
- I thought maybe it's the TV cable that's come loose from the bracket, so I popped the hood and took a look, but it is still securely fastened as far as I could see - it's raining and dark here, but I did pull on it and it moved in sync with the throttle.
- I let it cool about 30 minutes, and then took it for a drive again - it drove off fine, transmission as responsive as usual, and then while driving it again started to feel as if the engine and tranny were no longer in sync as well as shifting strangely so I came home and parked it.

From what Aaron (nirvanagod) told me, he had a tranny flush and filter change not too long ago, and I took a look at the fluid a week or so ago and it was red and clear. I'm kind of stumped on this, I was hoping to drive it for a while before having to put any money into it.

So, does anybody have any ideas about what could be wrong ? Here's hoping it's just a freak occurrence :bowdown: :bowdown:

2003 Triumph Speed Four
1992 Dnepr MT-11 30rwhp "Gracie"

AOD shifting weird

Reply #1
tv cable,  AoD's shift at a certan pressure,  if its out of adjustment youll get odd shifts, dont drive to much until you get it corrected AoD's are very tempermental to wrong pressurem could damage the trans

AOD shifting weird

Reply #2
How is the fluid level?
Matt :tg:

AOD shifting weird

Reply #3
Didn't have enough time to drive it until it got warm today, but I did check the fluid level before I left for work, and it was well into the crosshatch area while cold, so I figure that fluid level is not exactly a problem - and it is still red and clear, couldn't really smell anything.

2003 Triumph Speed Four

AOD shifting weird

Reply #4
Well, time for an update. I took it to Cottman Transmissions, and they did a "check" on it, which consisted of a guy driving it and then checking the fluid. He pr0nounced it to be the governor that's causing this. Said the fluid is gritty, and that is what is causing the governor to stick, therefore not allowing the transmission to shift properly.

So, after being quoted $1300 for a rebuild, I decided to first do a tranny flush/filter change and then if it still does this, kill the tranny and get another AOD from a junk yard. $250 and my own work installing it sounds a lot better than spending twice what the car cost me.

2003 Triumph Speed Four

AOD shifting weird

Reply #5
To hell with that dude!!  With what you said about the fluid level, do what t-bird85 said and do the TV cable first.  I mean, how do you feel about the fluid?  Earlier it seemed like you thought it was ok?

AOD shifting weird

Reply #6
I still think it is Ok (the fluid), but just to make sure tomorrow morning I will have a filter and fluid change, and then we'll see how things are. If the tranny works the same (shiznitty) then I will get a T-5 and do the swap.

2003 Triumph Speed Four

AOD shifting weird

Reply #7
New update: I found a 1984 Thunderbird in the local ads for $150. I have to wonder what shape the poor thing is in - any chance for a good tranny from it ?

However, it does not have a title, so .... I don't know, does anyone have an idea about the legal implications of this ? I would want to grab whatever I can get from it and then send it on its way to the junkyard - would a lack of title prevent them from accepting it ?

2003 Triumph Speed Four

AOD shifting weird

Reply #8
The jucnkyard should take it.  I have never had a problem sending one to the yard.

AOD shifting weird

Reply #9
Funny story from my car right at the time the tranny took a dump. I floored it and the TV stuck open. Causing the EXACT problems you described. I had to climb under the car and move it back with my hand. I dont' know if the linkage was rusty or the sludge that was probably in the tranny. Try this before you go and buy anything.

Also that 84, if it has an aod it is the older style that had poor lubrication to the rear half of the tranny.
One 88

AOD shifting weird

Reply #10
Back from the filter & fluid change. Cost me $40 in labour and $30 in parts, which included 4 quarts of Dex III and 1 of Trans X as well as a filter. They showed me the filter which was covered in a black gritty sludge, no idea where that was from.

Driving back it shifted fine, I'll have to wait and see for how long it will keep it up. In the meantime, I will try to acspoogeulate T-5 conversion parts (or maybe steal all of Bane's) so that sometime this summer I will be able to get rid of the blasted AOD.

2003 Triumph Speed Four

AOD shifting weird

Reply #11
Well, if you have never had the fluid changed, then that is what happens to the trans fluid.  However, if you do have it changed at regular intervals, then that black gritty stuff is clutch material.

AOD shifting weird

Reply #12
My AOD makes a loud mettalic noise when i put it into P from D or OD.
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

AOD shifting weird

Reply #13
So, after being quoted $1300 for a rebuild

My wife brought one of our old FWD cars (a 92 Topaz) to a transmission place and they gave her the same line of .  I had been working a ton of overtime and just did not have the time to work on it.  I let the car sit for a few weeks and then finally tore into it and found the speedo gear stripped out.  $10 part 3 hours of work....fixed.

Glad to see that it seems your issue was something relatively inexpensive as well and that you didn't get shafted.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

AOD shifting weird

Reply #14
Quote from: Paul Flockhart
My wife brought one of our old FWD cars (a 92 Topaz) to a transmission place and they gave her the same line of .  I had been working a ton of overtime and just did not have the time to work on it.  I let the car sit for a few weeks and then finally tore into it and found the speedo gear stripped out.  $10 part 3 hours of work....fixed.

Glad to see that it seems your issue was something relatively inexpensive as well and that you didn't get shafted.

That is a common problem with the front drivers as the inner speedo gear also drives the govnenor... They were trying to take you for a "ride"...