Skip to main content
Topic: TC Fog Lamp switch (Read 951 times) previous topic - next topic

TC Fog Lamp switch

Does anyone know what the pin configuration is on the factory TC fog lamp switch?  I just got one, and need to wire in the fogs.  They have a wire coming from the battery (hot) one going to the lights (lead?) and a ground.  Thanks.
Paul

TC Fog Lamp switch

Reply #1
I wouldn't mind finding this out myself, as I've put the foglight switch in in my base Tbird out of the TC, for my driving lights...just need to run the wires to the lights, to the switch, etc...

(i know, i know, get an EVTM....lol)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

TC Fog Lamp switch

Reply #2
What's an EVTM?

TC Fog Lamp switch

Reply #3
use a relay
It's Gumby's fault.

TC Fog Lamp switch

Reply #4
I'll definitely use a relay...
An EVTM..Electrical and Vacuum Technical Manual....they're on ebay all the time, I just havn't bought one yet, actually looking for a seller that'll take a m/o for it.

Make sure ya get one for YOU PARTICULAR YEAR, as there's a lot of differences between the '87 and the '88 wiring, especially the V6 cars...

Reason I want to use the factory TC switch is because I've got a set of wal mart driving lights, with that stupid remote control switch, and I want a "hardwired" switch, if you will...
That, and I've lso got a set of TC fogs to on, whenever I get a TC bumper and cover...
'98 Explorer 5.0

TC Fog Lamp switch

Reply #5
Just going by memory I believe the bottom terminal (with the little lighted part facing up) is hot, the center terminal goes to the fog light relay, and the top terminal goes to ground.

Do yourself a favour - get your "hot" from an ignition switched power source. That'll prevent you from killing the battery by forgetting to turn 'em off
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

TC Fog Lamp switch

Reply #6
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
Do yourself a favour - get your "hot" from an ignition switched power source. That'll prevent you from killing the battery by forgetting to turn 'em off

Yeah, that's part of the reason I wanna wire em up like that, so I have a "safety" so I don't go off and leave em on, come back 3 hours later to have a dead battery-I'm always forgetting to turn off my driving lights anyways, especially as I like to only use them when it's early evening/morning, and not the headlights.
'98 Explorer 5.0

TC Fog Lamp switch

Reply #7
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
Just going by memory I believe the bottom terminal (with the little lighted part facing up) is hot, the center terminal goes to the fog light relay, and the top terminal goes to ground.

Ummm that back of my switch looks like this

Top(where light is)
  ||
  __   

Ther are two vertical pr0ngs next to each other, then there is a horizontal one below them.

My kit came with an inline fuse on the hot wire.  Should I go to autozone and see if I can find one of those fog light wiring kits?  And what would be an appropriate ignition switched source for the wire?  SOrry I know very little about car electicity.

Thanks
Paul

TC Fog Lamp switch

Reply #8
I didn't say my memory was, you know, good... :hick:

I tapped directly into the ignition switch harness (I installed the harness for the fog lights at the same time I installed a remote starter), but basically you can tap into any fuse that is only hot while the key is on (blower motor, 'frinstance)

I'll try to get a look at my parts TC's switch tomorrow (I say try because I'm doing renovations and am very busy, and I say parts TC because my 88 is 40 miles away)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣