Skip to main content
Topic: '86 Bird w/3.8 Carb = Bad Mileage (Read 1067 times) previous topic - next topic

'86 Bird w/3.8 Carb = Bad Mileage

Hey I have had this 86 thunderbird for a little over a year now.  In the summer I had experienced some trouble with the car running like  while driving.  Constantly stalling, no power, etc.  Anyways that was a simple side of the highway fix with a new fuel filter.  Ran fine.  About 4 months ago my mileage went down drastically.  I was averaging before about 450km per tank, then down to 300km/tank.  I was noticing during the time that the car would idle quite high almost all the time.  Didn't matter if it was warm/cold or anything.  It always started fine, ran fine, except going through a lot of gas.  So I went ahead and changed the plugs/cap/rotor/air filter (not the wires yet).  The car was running pretty good again and was back to about 450km/tank.  Then again recently it started to suck gas again.  Last tank I got 300km on the tank.  I checked the choke and it seems to be working fine.  Doesn't seem to stuck or anything as it moved pretty freely.  I do plan on changing out the plug wires out this weekend and seeing what happens.  I was wondering if there was anything else I should look into?  Any ideas would be great.  Hopefully the new wires help the problem.  Thanks

Jason

Reply #1
I know this probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but that answer just might be in this site:  http://www.recarbco.com/technical/newtrouble.html
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
check for vacspoogee leaks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #3
Had the same problem. Car would really idle fast. I sprayed a rust penetrent into carg area including the throttle spring assembly and down the metal shaft that goes by the transmission.

Reply #4
Yeah that was one of the things I did.  The kickdown isn't the problem I'm pretty sure.  Well when I replaced the plugs a few months ago I didn't replace 2 of the plugs at the time.  So last week I changed the last 2 that I couldn't get to before.  I also checked the hoses, and whatever else.  So far over the last few days it isn't ideling high anymore.  Yet to put new wires on though.  Just been busy.  Well see how far this tank goes, then update.  Thanks for the ideas.

Jason