Skip to main content
Topic: need some advice.. (Read 1069 times) previous topic - next topic

need some advice..

alright guys heres the scoop.... im making a custom console (the one i have laying around here from the mustang) i need to know what to use to bond plastic together and fill in/and mold... a couple peices together..... this mustang had the hand brake..... and im trying to fill in that hole that was the channel for the e-brake... and make it smooth....

bondo maybe?...im clueless

what would you guys suggest..... ill post a pic up soon..

here:

looks ghetto yes i know..... but its a work in progress

and yes it will have cupholders :-P

need some advice..

Reply #1
hmm, look into fiber glassing alot. Check out http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/ they do alot of farication into dashes, lots of hints and tips there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

need some advice..

Reply #2
HI i used abs plastic and vac molded it but i think what you are doing to fill could be done with a heat gunif you use a good heat gun you can bend abs pretty easy, and 3m makes a super glue with an accelerator cost about 20 per bottle, but bonds intantly to secure i used all the way around to hold in place then you can bondo smooth and use plastic texture paint, hope this helps

need some advice..

Reply #3
Sink the cardboard down into the hole about 1" use spray expandable foam from home depot to fill the hole, wait a day, use a razor blade to trim flush. Coat the area with a skim coat of bondo, use a sponge to dab the bondo before it dries to match the texture of the surrounding plastic. After the bondo dries, lightly sand, spray primer, lightly sand again, then paint with interior paint (SEM, etc.) This is the process we use in many of our prototype fabrications.

need some advice..

Reply #4
Why didn't you hook your e-brake up to a handle and use the slot, rather than the shiznitty foot pedal? :( I plan to eventually get a handbrake on my TC, and this would be the perfect way to do it.

need some advice..

Reply #5
the free parts i had are long gone..... lol so all i had was a mustang copnsole that noone wanted...

need some advice..

Reply #6
Quote from: oldraven
Why didn't you hook your e-brake up to a handle and use the slot, rather than the shiznitty foot pedal? :( I plan to eventually get a handbrake on my TC, and this would be the perfect way to do it.

me too. as soon as i find a console to rip up i'll get started. i started a thread about this some time ago. the double headlight stangs seem to be the best candidates. end hijack.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver