Skip to main content
Topic: fuel pump (Read 1080 times) previous topic - next topic

fuel pump

I have a 88 mercury cougar and i installed a new fuel pump, and i dont have any poweer to the pump. I can turn the key over, and there is no hum or anything, also i can take the fuel line off the fuel filter, and there is no fuel coming out of the line.CAn anyone help me.

fuel pump

Reply #1
Can anyone help me with this problem

fuel pump

Reply #2
You must have patience!  4 minutes is not enough time for others to see your thread!

You have a couple of things you should look into.  Fuel pump relay that is located behind the  rear seat and the fuel pump cutoff switch that is in the trunk on the tail light panel.

One of those is bad.  More than likely
One 88

fuel pump

Reply #3
Thanks for the reply CougarSE, that info has helped alot, but I've got a few questions for you.

OK...

1. The pump was jumped off the battery (with fuse) and it works.

Pump works.

2. We've changed the fuel pump relay and that didnt help.

New relay didnt fix the problem, so the orginal prob works.

3. The inertia switch has been tested (pushed button and it stays locked down) and it moves locked and unlocked positions.

What would be our next course of action?

The only other things that Ive heard of is checking the EEC switch thats located somewhere under glove compartment, but I'm not exactly sure of what it looks like to be able to find it.

Ive also heard something about the ignition switch also being a concern but here again Im not sure.

If memory serves a friend told me there was a box under there that works like a magnet. After so many miles the magnets charge moves from one side to the other and makes your "check engine light" come on. Ive been told this is nothing but to get your vehicle back into the shop so they can check things out, but you needed it for your vehicle to run properly.

Is this what that is?

I'm at a loss on really what to do next, so any help from you would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!!!

fuel pump

Reply #5
I have chaecked the wires and they seem good, someone told me it could be the timming is that possible? I have installed a new ignition switch and it still wont cut on.Could it be the eec, or eac mechanism, and if that is it can i change it at the house?
                      thanks

fuel pump

Reply #6
Why did you replace the fuel pump?

Do you have a volt meter to trouble shoot this with?

Trying to SWAG electrical problems can lead you down the garden path that you are currently down.

Timing has nothing to do with getting the fuel pump to run.

With the ignition switch in "RUN" ground the TAN/LGD wire at pin 6 of the self test connector. The pump should run. If it does run the problem MAY be the EEC. If it does not run, this is the set-up you want to use to track it down with your volt meter.

fuel pump

Reply #7
The EEC relay is kind of hard to get too.  I believe you can see it if you flop the glove box out.  Just to the right of the inside.
One 88