Skip to main content
Topic: FS: 91 beretta Beater (Read 850 times) previous topic - next topic

FS: 91 beretta Beater

Well this is a no frills Beater. Its a 91 Beretta Gt, Auto, 3.1 V6. Has newer tires, sunroof,  new water pump, replaced tranny and a few misc parts.

The good: well It runs. It has been my girlfriends daily driver since she was 16. It has been a very dependable car.

the bad: Hmm for the most part it hasn't been taken very good care of. She got hit in the front pass fender a year ago wich was a minor thing, then summer of last year she hit a truck with it which hurt the headlight panel, hood, and both fenders. she drove it as is for a year. the interior is the typical py beretta interior which has a cracked dash, and faded/ torn rear seats. Recently she had some transmission issues with the car where her dad decided to swap out the tranny. well he replaced it and it isn't much better. after looking into it i believe it is just an adjustment issue of the module on top of the tranny. It runs and shifts great except from 2-3. you have to manually shift it for it to shift sometimes.

I know it sounds horrible but it really isn't all that bad. only reason she is getting rid of it instead of fixing is she got a 92 eclipse for free. So no she is selling this to pay for parts to fix up the eclipse.

wanted to start around 500
for a running driving car its not bad.

RIP 1986 Turbocoupe
1988 Mustang GT Show car/weekend racer
1986 Mustang T-top coupe The 2.3T project
1977 F250 400 4wd Fun in the mud
1997 Honda CBR F3 For when i want to make everything else feel slow

Reply #1
2.8 or 3.1? I have driven a couple of 3.1's, and they could hang with a 86-88 5.0 cougar or tbird pretty easy. A 2.8 could prolly hang with the same years till 60 or so.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
A friend had a 2.8 '89 Cavalier, and one day he ended up next to me at a red light....the light went green, and he got the jump on me by about 8-10 feet, but after that I pulled ahead of him till I got to 45, then I let off...
If he'd had a bigger engine, he'd have beaten me.
This was with the '88 V6 Bird...
I've also gotten the jump off the line, up to about 45-50 mph against a
Camaro with a 305 (twice), and a Mitsubishi Mirage, but after 60 that Mirage was flyin'.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #3
A friend had a 93 sunbird le with a 3.1, would almost keep up to him in the '80 after 60km/h. off the line I was toast though :p ever try to change the rear three plugs on one of those?:yuck: they are pretty reliable though
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #4
ever try to change the rear three plugs on one of those? they are pretty reliable though

My wife's very first car was a '92 Corsica with the 3.1.  Same basic car just 4 doors and with the same engine/tranny.  It ran strong, but when we got rid of it the tranny started to do whacky things just like your first tranny did.  The car had electrical gremlins inside it too.....And those spark plugs were a BI%CH!!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
Quote from: Haystack
2.8 or 3.1? I have driven a couple of 3.1's, and they could hang with a 86-88 5.0 cougar or tbird pretty easy. A 2.8 could prolly hang with the same years till 60 or so.

its a 3.1 and ya they are peppy lil motors. If you are interested let me know

RIP 1986 Turbocoupe

Reply #6
any offers?

RIP 1986 Turbocoupe

Reply #7
If you were closer I would take this off of you. Me and my freind are trying to get a 4.2 cadi engine to fit in his 89 caviler, but a  3.1 with some work would prolly do it.

These are really good cars, as long as they are taken care of.

My freinds 89 cavi had 212,000 miles on it, and itcould still pass saftey and emissions.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com