Skip to main content
Topic: installed mustang tubular a arms... (Read 3950 times) previous topic - next topic

installed mustang tubular a arms...

Reply #15
lol, guess i wasnt thinkin on that one! chuck do u have any of those mounts left??

Reply #16
No, but I will be making more.  If you want me to add you to the notification list send me an email.

cwarren@indy.net
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #17
hey! i'm looking for a set of control arms for the front of my 86 turbo coupe.

chuck, i highly doubt that the k-member between the 87-88 turbo coupe and the other models are different. ford likes to use the same parts or cross reference them alot, so i don't think they'd like to add cost to a good profit that they where making on the birds. hell, look at the svo mustang, left over parts different wheels.
So you have a V8.......isn't that cute.

Reply #18
well, i've got an 88 TC k-member sitting on the floor in the garage, so if any one wants measurements, just ask and i'll whip out the trusty tape
TC#1- 2.5T- 10.14@134....9.76@138 with a 50shot
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #19
Quote from: motormenace
hey! i'm looking for a set of control arms for the front of my 86 turbo coupe.

chuck, i highly doubt that the k-member between the 87-88 turbo coupe and the other models are different. ford likes to use the same parts or cross reference them alot, so i don't think they'd like to add cost to a good profit that they where making on the birds. hell, look at the svo mustang, left over parts different wheels.

I doubt it too.... but until someone measures one of each I won't be convinced one way or the other :D

Break out that tape measure Pressure Cooked.....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #20
ok, i went and measured both the TC k and a tubular fox stang k as well. Interesting results to say the least. The TC k is as follows: forward a-arm mount points =23" apart center of bolt to center of bolt. rearward mount points=30 1/2 "   
 apart. Stang k as follows: forward mount points 23 3/4" apart.  rearward mount points 32" Now conventional wisdom agrees with rear points: 3/4" per side, but the front is odd. I even double checked the measurements and still only came up with a total of 3/4" difference for both sides. i dunno
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #21
Pressure Cooked, do you have the measurements of a V6 K member, to compare to the TC k?
I'm curious if they'er different.
I'd measure mine, but my tape is at work, only  thing I didn't bring homw with me friday night. :mad:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #22
sorry, all i have is the above two k members.
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #23
ahhh, no biggie, I'll bring my tape homw with me tomorrow night, and measure a V6 k member, post the stats here, unless someone else does before I get to it. Not that it's that big of a deal, but since the other measurements are in here...
'98 Explorer 5.0

i hope i'm in the right place

Reply #24
so many areas talking about the tubular suspension i figured this was the newest.....  i have a 83 cougar w/ 5.0 and want the tubular k's and arms....  are they a direct fit?  some say yes because of the year, some say i need spacers.....  is there a difinitive answer for my (the wifes) car?

any info will help before i spend a buttload of money without getting everything i need

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #25
i would say fox stang tubular components is a "yes" on a 83 for sure. even if you need spacers it's really no big deal; they actually give you a bit more hood clearance because they drop the motor a little (the spacers, not the k-member itself). i would highly recommend going to coilovers as well for height adjustability and the fact most aftermarket tubular arms have no provision for the factory spring setup. hope this helps some.
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

sure helps :)

Reply #26
but i thought the factory suspension WAS a coil-over....  i could be wrong

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #27
no it is not.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #28
i see..... duh........ i guess this is the first car i've had without front wheel drive, so i'm used to having a regular strut and not a modified one.... my bad :dunno:

Reply #29
actually, we have the "modified" macpherson strut system, modified meaning you can take the strut out, w/o removing the spring...
'98 Explorer 5.0