Skip to main content
Topic: Attempting CD installation....Need Advice. (Read 2320 times) previous topic - next topic

Attempting CD installation....Need Advice.

Ok, I'm sick and tired of running around town going from place to place looking for a CD player installation that is in my price range. Everywhere I go it's always 240-300 dollars at the bare minimum to purchase and install a CD player in my car. (87 Thunderbird w/Premium Sound/Factory Equalizer) Whenever I mention it has a factory EQ, the dollar signs light up in these people's eyes. Anyway, In about an hour I am going to Wal-Mart to purchase a cheap CD-Player. I also plan on getting the mounting kit, and the Correct Harness Adapter for my year. That's it.

I don't care about the Factory EQ or "premium sound", I just want the CD player hooked up to the speakers and that is it. How difficult is this job going to be?

Is there something else I'm going to need to purchase besides the items I listed above? Once I do get all of this stuff together, I will in all likely hood be reporting back here for further instructions.

Again, I just want the CD player to work. I don't care about the Premium Sound or EQ, I just want to hook this up as quick as possible and use it. Any advice, tips, etc?
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #1
"You can use the EQ with an aftermarket deck, but you MUST use the RCA line-level pre-outs on your deck. This means that you must use an aftermarket amplifier as well."
http://www.foxthundercats.com/samscars.htm
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
or ditch the equalizer all together. replace it with the map pocket or just leave it. its a useless peice of  anyway. then run your own speaker wires (my first choice) or find the other standard radio harness taped up behind the dash and use the adaptor on that. it realy doend get any easier than that...you dont even realy need the instalation kit, get a peice of masonite or 1/4" plywood, plastic or something and make a plate.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #3
Quote from: shame302
.....or find the other standard radio harness taped up behind the dash and use the adaptor on that. it realy doend get any easier than that...you dont even realy need the instalation kit, get a peice of masonite or 1/4" plywood, plastic or something and make a plate.

Explain in further detail about this. I was reading some other thread about a harness found somewhere near the Glove Box. Is that what you are talking about? If so, does this mean all I have to do is get a CD player, and a harness adapter and plug it in?
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #4
First of all, read this page:  http://www.foxthundercats.com/tcstereo.htm

ThunderChicken has done a great job of breaking down each type of stereo system in easy-to-understand terms.  Once you've read up on it then come back with any questions you might have.  I used the instructions on his page to integrate an aftermarket 4-channel amplifier and head unit into my factory system, which was premium sound without EQ.  His wiring diagrams and color codes make it a simple job of matching up colors.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #5
I was reading some other thread about a harness found somewhere near the Glove Box. Is that what you are talking about?

yes....that should work if the harness pigtail is there. i always make it a point to run my own wired to each speaker. i usually dont bother getting the harness either. i just cut the power, ground and 12+ (i cant remember if there is a sepperate chassis ground or not...) and solder them to the new decks harness directly. cheepest way to do it. and i have no use for the factory wireing. in order to mount the deck you will ned to make some sort of mounting plate. its basically a wrecktangle with a wrecktangle hole the size of the deck cut in the middle of it and holes drilled out where it screws into the dash. ale it does is keeps the deck from flopping around in there. you could spend the 10-15 bucks and buy one as well. either way you will need the metal clip from the back of the stock rsdio and mount it on the new one in the same place. this keeps the rear of the deck secure.

If so, does this mean all I have to do is get a CD player, and a harness adapter and plug it in?

you will still need too wire the adapter harness into the new decks harness. all the wires are, or at least should be labled. very easy.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
When I installed the cd player in my Bird I just used all the brackets that held the factory radio in place. Never had to make any kind of mounting plate. My buddy's Cougar is the same way.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #7
Quote from: shame302

you will still need too wire the adapter harness into the new decks harness. all the wires are, or at least should be labled. very easy.

The adapter harness I saw at Walmart looked like a simple plug in design. One end plugged into the Cd player, and the other into the Car Harness. Is this not the case?
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #8
The walmart adapter will plug in to the cars harness fine but those wires from the adapter and stereo still need to be spliced together, pretty straight foreward.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #9
If you buy an adapter, buy one for a car WITHOUT premium sound, as this will plug into that secondary harness that's hidden behind the glove box - that secondary harness is connected directly to the speakers and bypasses the amp & EQ.

One thing to remember: If you find the secondary harness and connect to it, you MUST unplug the amplifier in the trunk. Although the second harness bypasses the amp it is still connected to it (on the amp's output side) and if you connect your stereo to it you'll backfeed into the amp. If you don't unplug the amp, you'll fry it (definitely) and could possibly fry the stereo as well.

Also, don't try to connect your stereo to the premium sound connector currently attached to the stock premium sound head unit - there will not be enough wires (you need eight speaker wires, the premium harness only has three or five) and that harness is grounded - something that could also fry your deck.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #10
Hey DMC, installing a CD player is easy. I would just go to wal-mart and get the wiring harness, and the Ford adapter bracket set.

Just unplug and toss the factory amp & EQ. In the factory harness, one of the plugs (can't remember which color) if you pull it out of the dash it will have the second plug on it like people mentioned. Just attach the wal-mart wiring harness to the CD player's wiring harness (it's easy because all the wires are always the same color) and plug it in. Out of the box of adapter brackets there's only one you need (kind of a rip eh). On my car, due to the CD player I have, I had to actually flip over the bracket I ended up using and trim it back a bit to get my CD player to fit in behind the console cover piece, but that's just because the trim piece around the CD player was too big to fit through the opening in the cover.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #11
Ok, first off, how does one Unplug the Factory Amp and EQ? Second of all, how difficult is it going to be for me to take out the stock radio?
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #12
Um....the eq, just take it out of the dash and unplug it :dunno:

The factory amp is behind one of those metal things in the trunk (the one on the left side). Take out the screw in the top, drop down the metal thing, and you'll see the amp sitting there. It's weird looking and octagon shaped.

Factory radio is just held in with screws, which is sweet. Hell of a lot easier than those  DIN radios.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #13
Thanks for all the replies. First thing tommorrow morning I will begin the process of dismantling the Stock Radio.

Oh, and by the way, here's a little treat I stumbled upon a few minutes ago.....
http://www.fedrelandsvennen.no/amcar/brochures/ford/87tbird.html
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #14
here's a little treat I stumbled upon a few minutes ago.....
What, you don't like the 84's?
http://www.fedrelandsvennen.no/amcar/brochures/ford/84tbird.html

Or, just start at the beginning... he must have a lot of server space!
http://www.fedrelandsvennen.no/amcar/
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!