Skip to main content
Topic: Max Compression Ratio (Read 775 times) previous topic - next topic

Max Compression Ratio

I'm planning on rebuilding the SO 5.0 engine in my 87 tbird to the HO varity.  Depending on which combination of parts the compression ratio can vary from 8.7 to 12.0.  I want to continue using the 87 octane pump gas but while I'm asking I might as well ask for the other octanes.

If you please would answer, What is the max compression ratio the 5.0 HO engine can take that won't cause pinging/detionation using the 87, 89, and 92 octane gasoline?  Also does engine cubic inchs make a difference?  Was considering stroking the engine.

Max Compression Ratio

Reply #1
I'd say 10:1 is safe bet on 92 any more u can be pushin it... and altitude will have some bearing on it.  dont think cubic inches gonna make much of ad ifference... u can get octane booster tho... and play with timing... but there is pro's and con's to playin with timing which i do not know but someone else will.

Max Compression Ratio

Reply #2
Cubic inches only really matter in that the bigger the engine, the more power you can make on lower compression. I.e. a big block can make 400 hp on 9:1 easy, whereas with a small block that would be harder to do.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Max Compression Ratio

Reply #3
I want to stay with 87 octane because this is a daily ride.  Sure don't want to be adding octane boost.  That would send me to the poor house.

Max Compression Ratio

Reply #4
On 87, my guess would be that you probably wouldn't want to run more than about 9.5:1.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Max Compression Ratio

Reply #5
9.5 is good.  Glad I found out before buying the wrong heads with smaller cc.