Skip to main content

Poll

5.0 SO ..or 5.8/351w

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: March 08, 2006, 05:24:54 AM

Topic: 5.0 or 5.8? (Read 2382 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 or 5.8?

I have a chance to snag a 5.8 out of a 91 3/2 ton truck, was wondering how many would put the 351w in a Tbird, as opposed to a stock 5.0 SO.
The 5.8/351w will be cammed, carbed, headers, and Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, and something around a 650 to 750 cfm carb, and an otherwise stock bottom end. Maybe some polishing on the heads if my budget allows. After all, I gotta buy special oil pan and headers for this...

The other option is a stock 5.0 SO out of another Sport, and nothing done to it...
What would you guys do?
(I've really been wanting a Thunderbird with a 351 forever...just want a few opinions why/why not.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #1
hmm I could see how the gas sitiation could suck with a carb, but either way I am sure you will be pleased. Parts from boh engines interchange, so I say both ;).

I would go fuel injected 5.0, unless a carbed 351 is something you can afford.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #2
I guess I should have put in a third choice:
5.0 HO from '87 or '88 Mustang, and ecm.
I think this may be my best choice, only other thing I'll need for this one is an exhaust setup.

Only thing is, with the HO instead of the SO, I won't get the motor mount plates to drop it in...
And I have no clue where to get them, w/o buying a motor to go with 'em (jy guy won't just sell me the mounts/brackets...)
'98 Explorer 5.0

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #3
I say go 351.  I'd go fuel injection though.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #4
or you could always throw a 347 stroker kit at the stock tbird block and call it a day.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #5
Paul Flockhart-I say go 351. I'd go fuel injection though.
-I'd eventually like to do that, but right now, I just don't have the budget for an EFI 5.8, what with the u/l intakes I'd need.

Haystack-or you could always throw a 347 stroker kit at the stock tbird block and call it a day.
-Another good option, but really don't have the money for that either...
I gotta budget of about 800 bucks, but part of that is already going toward new shocks/struts.
Way I figure, if I can find a decent SD 5.0HO somewhere for around 400 or so, and a SD HO computer, that's probably all I be able to get till I can either find full time work, or else save enough.

The thing is though, I traded a car awhile back for some other parts, but the guy can't come through on some of the stuff, so he's giving me a 351 out of a 91 3/4 ton truck, and it's complete.
The only costs would be the headers, oil pan, carb, motor mounts/brackets, and some sorta ignition. I already have an intake for it...

Another option is a 5.0SO for 150 bucks, but no guarantee it will run, as it's been in a jy for awhile, and he bought the car with no trans. in it. Hence the reason I can't hear it run. I tried to buy the whole car from him awhile back, but he couldn't/wouldn't sell it. (87 or 88 Sport)

That's why I figured on doing the 5.0SO, and then over time, getting all the parts needed for the HO conversion.
The Tbird is my usual transportation, so I really don't like the idea of  it sitting around too long, and the plates are up for renewal at the end of March anyway. So whatever I do, it'll have to be done by then. But anyway, thanks for the ideas :D
'98 Explorer 5.0

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #6
hmm, for a DD, I would go stock or H.O. 5.0. Just because there is alot more information out here on how to do it. Also, better gas miliage and things of the like.  I havent had too many problems with my cars. I have pretty much always been able to at least get the car home. How many miles are on the engine about?
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #7
on the 5.8, about 75,000
on either 5.0, I have no clue, havn't located an HO yet, and the Sport that has the SO, I havn't seen the car but from a distance.
'98 Explorer 5.0

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #8
well, first instinct would be to say 351, no brainer. but in your sitch. the 5.0 HO seems like it would be the best deal. id forget about the SO.

man...if you were closer to me id sell the whole drivetrain to you for 500...engine, mounts, all the HO parts, exaust,, T5.

all you would need is gaskets, resurface the HO heads and assemble....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #9
Wish I had the $$ for gas to drive there and back, that's pretty much all the stuff I want to put in my car...
'98 Explorer 5.0

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #10
oh...you would still need the clutch pedal assy and cable. it would probably cost another 300-400 to ship though :(

~John~

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #11
If I didn't need shocks, struts and a coupla new tires, I'd consider it...
probably cheaper to ship it than for me to drive there...
Ah hell, there's gotta be an HO somewhere around here..
'98 Explorer 5.0

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #12
im sure there is....

~John~

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #13
Don't forget that a 351 is also 2" taller than a 302...will it clear your stock hood? Well, with a carb you could always use a drop base air cleaner, but with EFI that will be an issue.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

5.0 or 5.8?

Reply #14
what ever you do, i'd keep the fuel injection