Skip to main content
Topic: 1983 Thunderbird TV add! (Read 2374 times) previous topic - next topic

1983 Thunderbird TV add!

Reply #15
Wow that was pretty cool.  I was thinking, and I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial for the Thunderbird or the Cougar.  They just kind of stopped airing them after the early 90s I guess.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

1983 Thunderbird TV add!

Reply #16
IM not good with computers, can someone tell me how to SAVE it to computer.

1983 Thunderbird TV add!

Reply #17
That is totally cool! That video should be saved and put on CoolCats somewhere!

1983 Thunderbird TV add!

Reply #18
Jim: there was an ad for the 1989 Cougar XR7 that played, to the best of my knowledge, one time only. It was during some award show on MTV...maybe the Video Music Awards? Lincoln-Mercury was a sponsor of the show. All I remember is that the car was red, and it was going through a slalom of orange cones in a parking lot, and the words "SUPER CHARGED" flashed on the screen in black and white. Of course I didn't have the VCR running at the time.

I do remember a Buick ad that claimed the new FWD Regal 'cost less than T-Bird or Cougar' and was priced 'hundreds lower than LeBaron'. This would have been late-1980's as well. It was an indirect reference but obviously the Cat and Bird had Buick riled up a bit, and rightly so.

Typically, L-M has a very high initial budget for a new car launch, and then...nothing. No TV ads, no billboards, and few (if any) magazine ads. Next year at this time, try to find a Mercury Milan ad anywhere! Sad to say but this all seems to have started with the launch of the 1989 Cougar. Surprisingly the LS was pushed quite a bit, but Ford obviously recognized that the supercharged XR7 was THE flagship of L-M division, and the successor of its performance heritage. So most of the ads from around that time touted the XR7. It was a huge image car for the division. And then, when it was an IMSA GTO race car, wow...there was quite a budget for that. Amazing. I doubt we will ever see those days again, but at the very least I'm proud that the XR7 made the biggest dent and opening splash in advertising in recent memory.

1983 Thunderbird TV add!

Reply #19
Quote from: shame302
awesome man...nice find and nice post...it love too find one for the 87-88 turbo coupes as well...that would be awesome. wouldnt mind finding one i remember for the mark viii either...

heres one for the mark viii
http://www.leocerruti.com/lsc/TVad.html

1983 Thunderbird TV add!

Reply #21
heres one for the mark viii
http://www.leocerruti.com/lsc/TVad.html

that is exactly the one i remember and was talkin about...awesome man! THANKS!
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

1983 Thunderbird TV add!

Reply #22
so where can i get a copy of that video?

1983 Thunderbird TV add!

Reply #23
so where can i get a copy of that video?

Which one? If you want the 83 Tbird one I could send it to you. I *think* I can send it. If I remember correctly it's about 30 or 32 mb and I don't remember if my email will send something that big. Just send me a PM with your email.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

1983 Thunderbird TV add!

Reply #24
Quote from: Innes
IM not good with computers, can someone tell me how to SAVE it to computer.

Heres the link. you then go up to flie and click save

http://x1100.putfile.com/videos/a5-5121525462.avi