Skip to main content
Topic: Searching for PC locking software... (Read 1989 times) previous topic - next topic

Searching for PC locking software...

Because of his grade problems, my mother wants me to install a prog. that will password lock my younger brother's PC at 8 pm then unlock again at 7 in the morning, for example.  Anyone know of a software that does this?

Reply #1
does he use the internet mostly? because if he does i know with my linksys router i can choose who has acsess to the internet at any given time. its through the control settings on the router. see if that is an option. if you need the entire comp locked or his profile on the comp just log in as the admin and change the password. if its not already set up for multipul users. if not then i beleve you can put a password on it entirely. because i did this on my personal comp because my little bro would always use it so i passworded it for my protection. see if that is an option but i know of no software that could do that. becides whats already runing on xp.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #2
If you set up a password for the user account (2k/XP) then you can make a scheduled task for "rundll32 user32.dll,LockWorkStation" that will clear everything and bring up the login screen. (In order to make a scheduled task out of this, you will need to make a shortcut to it)  This way he needs the password to get back in. If only your mother and you knows the password, she can type it in to let him have access anytime.

There are probably better alternatives but this is free and requires no extra software.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #3
Thats a great option, My wife uses software to do the same thing fr the PC's at the Library and it can get really expensive. If you really want software do a search for watchdog or gaurddog.

Reply #4
you aren't running a domain at home are you? (i am but then again, i am a bit computer geeky), cuase then you can set it login times per the user account on the domain, but for XP, you can do as suggested, or have a scheduled task like mentioned. You may want to see if there is any free parental control software out there, that may have what is needed.

or just change the password on all the logins, and don't give him his, or keep his computer in the living room.

Reply #5
dang he's you lil brother kick his ass thats all you need to do and then he'll start listening don't worry bout him hating now  you he'll like you again when he gets older

Reply #6
Quote from: kyle2ooo
dang he's you lil brother kick his ass thats all you need to do and then he'll start listening don't worry bout him hating now  you he'll like you again when he gets older

He's 13, he's taller than me and has been in Karate for 2 years.

Reply #7
that won't stop you from hitting his ass with a chair now will it? hehehe