Skip to main content
Topic: which spring rate for coil overs? (Read 776 times) previous topic - next topic

which spring rate for coil overs?

on an 88 t-bird 302. car weighs 3020 with me in it, and fiberglass doors will be coming soon. :D car is is used for drag racing only.

was thinking about getting the PA racing k member kit, but they have a lot of spring options.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #1
Tell them what engine and trans and that you will be getting f/g doors and they will be able to advise you of the best choice.
 Probably around 12/1400 ? Just depends on aluim heads and such.

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #2
I have the 12" - 300 springs.I was told by a few T-Bird racers those would be the best due to the length of the nose and the weight of the car.

Reply #3
Quote from: 5.8fastcat

Probably around 12/1400 ?

*ponder*

Exactly what do you mean by that? 12" spring? 1400 what?

I'm going to guess a 12" about 200#..or lighter (I don't remember the motion ratio offhand).  You may be able to use a 10" spring.  Really all you're doing is holding the front of the car up since you're not concerned with taking corners.  As suggested, talk to the folks who buy the "kit" from.  They might have some other suggestions.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Quote from: Lx-tasy
I have the 12" - 300 springs.I was told by a few T-Bird racers those would be the best due to the length of the nose and the weight of the car.

that's just it. my car weighed 3465 with me in it, when i got it. i plan on getting the car down to about 2700.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #5
Quote from: 5ohbird
that's just it. my car weighed 3465 with me in it, when i got it. i plan on getting the car down to about 2700.

Are you going to shorten the nose on it also? Thats what I meant by saying about the nose length, there is alot of over hang on these cars.But I would agree with Chuck, ask the company you are going to be dealing with and see what they have to say.

Reply #6
Quote from: Lx-tasy

i have 14" 175 pnd's in the front of my 429 car.

175 is perfect for a small block or v-6

300 is what i need now:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication