Skip to main content
Topic: BBK SSI Intake Manifold (Read 1320 times) previous topic - next topic

BBK SSI Intake Manifold

Has anyone tried the new BBK SSI intake manifold?  If so, how difficult was it to install and hows its performance?

BBK SSI Intake Manifold

Reply #1
5.0 & SF mag did an intake shoot out and it performed on par with a GT-40/Cobra manifold but behind the RPM 2 and Systemax. It's basically a good low RPM street manifold street manifold and sure does look cool. Probably no harder to install than any of the others. Just a few more steps- I think it comes with its own fuel rails a pressure regulator. I would've bought one if my Cobra intake cost any more than $350. Quality is probably alot better than the chinese cobra.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

BBK SSI Intake Manifold

Reply #2
I assume this is the one you mean....as there is also an SSI-r as well...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/360/cat/2

http://foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=1405

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=594570

http://tamparacing.com/forums/ford-tech/210059-bbk-ssi-series-intake-manifold.html

Also read the FAQ in this one:  http://www.tmossporting.com/Default.aspx

If you plan on dropping this intake on an otherwise bone stock 5.0 whether SO or HO  I think that you're gonna be disappointed.  The thing really seems to make it's power higher up in the rev range.  Stock Ford cams and heads are designed to make their power in the lower range for the SO motor and Mid range for the HO motor. 
If you have the heads and cam to support it It may be worthwhile, but on a stock or even very mildy upgraded motor you may actually see a decrease in performance.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

BBK SSI Intake Manifold

Reply #3
Paul Flockhart, that's the one.  Strange that when I did a search using BBK SSI nothing was found on this site.  Thanks for the links.

BBK SSI Intake Manifold

Reply #4
I got the thread from THIS site off of Google.....So what combo are you running anywho?
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

BBK SSI Intake Manifold

Reply #5
Since this is a daily ride I've made just a few changes as time premitted.  Such as 1.7 rockers, removed air silencer, ud pullies, magnaflow cats and a custom borla exhaust, urathane rear axle bushings because oe's wore out.  Found out the hard way a speed density 5.0 can't run 19lb injectors, wouldn't idle.  Picked up a stock HO intake manifold and TB from the junkyard last summer.  I was thinking of trying this first since I'd only need to change the upper intake and TB.  Then I saw this BBK manifold at Summit and someone had it on ebay.  Stupid people bid the price higher than the Summit price.

If a larger intake does work and I see this BBK requires the lower manifold to be changed I'd probaly get the engine overhauled or maybe a crate engine.

I took a look at your cougar web site.  I can't tell but when you reinstalled the engine did you reconnect the AC?  If so did you use R-12 or convert it to R-134?

BBK SSI Intake Manifold

Reply #6
Found out the hard way a speed density 5.0 can't run 19lb injectors, wouldn't idle

It'll idle if you have enough Head/ cam/ intake to support it, but when you swap the cam there are so many more choices in the HO variety it's not worth it on an SO Computer.  Some guys at http://www.50tech.com are running 30 pound injectors on Speed density HO computers set up for 19 pound injectors..... The key is an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator.

I can't tell but when you reinstalled the engine did you reconnect the AC? If so did you use R-12 or convert it to R-134?

Took my A/C out almost a year ago.....Darn thing wasn't charged when I bought the car in '98 so I figured that all the components were about 50 pounds of useless weight to me.  Converting over can be a PITA, but R-12 is expensive and getting more so every day.

For your current cam/head/computer combo I would throw the 14 pound injectors back on, take off the upper and lower intakes and do a good port and polish on both (the lower is VERY restrictive on these engines and is the same part on the HO).  Get an adjustable regulator and set the base pressure to 46 PSI with the vacuum line disconnected, bump the timing to 14. 

I'd also invest in a larger fuel pump as it sounds like you have plans for more power down the line.  The beauty of the 5.0 fuel system setup is that it has a return line so you can get a rather high flowing pump with no real adverse effects.  I currently have a 255LPH Walbro pump. 

As a last note, some will agree with me on this, others will not, but I would put a shift kit in the AOD (so long as it is in good condition)
Depending on the transmission's mileage you may even want to think about an overhaul anyway and this would be a good time to add the shift kit should you decide to do so.

BBK SSI Intake Manifold

Reply #7
The key is an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator.

I did install a adjustable fuel pressure regulator.  Guess my subconscious made me forget about it with all the trouble I had with the 19lb injectors.  Tried for weeks to get a smooth idle.  Never could so I gave up and reinstalled the 14lb injectors.  The closes I came to a smooth idle was enlarging the TPS mounting holes and then screwing the throttle base screw all the down and then readjusting the TPS to the correct voltage.  Doing this caused the idle-bypass valve to have no effect.  Drive was ok but still had a surging idle in Park and the exhaust still had a unburnt fuel odor.  This is where I came to the conclusion what the engine needed was more air.  Thus the search for a larger intake manifold and TB.

BBK SSI Intake Manifold

Reply #8
As I said.......
It'll idle if you have enough Head/ cam/ intake to support it

And you hit the nail on the head;)

This is where I came to the conclusion what the engine needed was more air. Thus the search for a larger intake manifold and TB.

The BBK SSI is too much for the heads and cam you have right now IMHO.....A good port and polish on the upper and lower (ESPECIALLY the lower) with the 1.7 roller rockers and you can bump the 14 pounders to about 44-48 PSI. 

So when you gonna show us all some pics?