Skip to main content
Topic: Interior Resto Parts (Read 1858 times) previous topic - next topic

Interior Resto Parts

Anyone know where to get restoration parts for the interiors of our cars?  It's hard to find good used parts at the junkyard, etc.  I need various bits that are broke down from use such as the plastic "slips" around the seatbelt buckels and the trim pieces that surround the interior door handles.  Some good dash covers would be nice too as I have not seen a fox tbird/coug without a cracked dash in a long time(mine included)!  I know that the Mustang guys have 50resto.com but is there anyone for us yet?
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Re: Interior Resto Parts

Reply #1
Don't think so and I have the same interior problems. Also, jsut yesterday I managed to make a dash crack start going the other way too. Some areas of the thing are so hard, its sad really. Red is even more difficult to find than some of the other colors. Hopefully a company will jump on within the next couple years as all the cars mature past 20 years
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #2
i buy most of my interior parts on ebay i have really good luck there.

Reply #3
50tbrd88,
Have you found any restoration plastic "slips" for around the seatbelt buckels which are reasonably priced?  Ford only sells the whole seatbelt for close to $200.  I've been looking in junkyards for two years and there either broken like you said or there the wrong color( blue or brown ) when I want red.  My 87 Tbird Sport was in storage for a couple of years and those covers broke on their own.  I guess the plastic dries out.  So probaly if I found some junkyard ones they would soon break.

Reply #4
Once I have my parts car, and can take the seatbelt slips out, I intend to compare them to the ones we currently use on the Ford seats we build (mine are the worst part of my interior). I can get the obsolete parts from a couple years back at little cost, and if they are as similar as they seem to be...I will be glad to share. Usually the buckle itself is different, but the sleeves look VERY similar. Only problem, they will not match color for sure, and will have to be painted. We only build tan, black, flint grey, and King Ranch (dark brown). I will be sure to post a new thread once I know for sure, but have patience with me, might take awhile. I can try to post a picture tomorrow evening of one of the sleeves and someone may be able to compare that way.

Reply #5
Sounds good.  I've actually thought about making some "sheaths" for the seatbelt buckles out of metal and then having them covered in some sort of vinyl that would match the material on my door skins.  (my car has grey interior) The metal would take a lot more abuse than plastic anyway.  As far as cracked dashes go I have found some places online that deal in hard plastic dash covers that are molded to fit.  They also come in a variety of colors that are supposed to match.  However I've yet to see one in person so I don't know much about their quality.  I'll try to find the web address and post a link.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #6
I can't remember the name of the site but you can get a brand new repro dash pad for like $80+ ship  I looked at one for my 84. They only had black for it but I think they had color for the later years.  I just did a quick search and cam e up with this. http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Dash_Pad_Cover/Ford/Thunderbird/1AIDC00131/66219
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird