Skip to main content
Topic: will it work? (Read 1216 times) previous topic - next topic

will it work?

Well my question is will a 2.0 Pinto head bolt on and work on a 2.3? I've got a chance to buy a remaned unit for $30.00 I've got a 2.3 turbo I know I'd need to change the cam. But will it work?
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

will it work?

Reply #1
Should they're both lima blocks. I dont know how well it will work with the turbo motor tho or if your intake will bolt up.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

will it work?

Reply #2
I wouldnt take any chances with it knowing how picky the 2.3T is stick with the 2.3T head I may be wrong but the combustion chambers have something to do with the compression ratio on the 2.3T

will it work?

Reply #3
technicly ... but the camshaft is differant , as is the intake bolt pattern the 2.0 only hads 3 cam towers v.s 4 for a 2.3 .. smnaller valves etc..

not worth the time or hassle. find a 2.3 N/A head and have the chamber opened up. easiest way to replace a cracked turbo head

I ran a n/a head on my 2.3 and had no issuses.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

will it work?

Reply #4
Sleeper are you sure about the cam towers? I don't have any numbers from it but I does have 4 cam towers not 3. The only info I have that tells me its for a 2.0 is the machine shop paperwork. The person that turned it in hasn't picked it up and its been 6mo. As far as the cam and the rest of the parts no biggie I've got all of them for a complete head rebuild layin around the shop.That includes new valves. I do have 5 other heads that are cracked and one good one that is on my only runnin car.  I'll take a intake gasket with  me to check the intake. I do know you can drill and tap out the one hole. As far as the compresion chamber it does some to do with the compresion but most of it is lowered by the dished pistons. God I hope that its a 2.3 head. goin by what you've said It should be thanks for the quick reply's
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

will it work?

Reply #5
ipsd- are you sure it's not a head from a Ranger 2.0? Pinto 2.0's did indeed have 3 cam towers, and I don't think a head from one of them would bolt up to a 2.3L block. Ranger 2.0's on the other hand, were just debored 2.3's. I have a feeling that's probably what you're looking at.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

will it work?

Reply #6
Pinto 2.0 heads will NOT bolt up to a 2.3 Lima block.

They are both NOT Lima blocks.

Ranger 2.0 heads are garbage.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

will it work?

Reply #7
Quote from: ipsd
Sleeper are you sure about the cam towers? I don't have any numbers from it but I does have 4 cam towers not 3. The only info I have that tells me its for a 2.0 is the machine shop paperwork. The person that turned it in hasn't picked it up and its been 6mo. As far as the cam and the rest of the parts no biggie I've got all of them for a complete head rebuild layin around the shop.That includes new valves. I do have 5 other heads that are cracked and one good one that is on my only runnin car.  I'll take a intake gasket with  me to check the intake. I do know you can drill and tap out the one hole. As far as the compresion chamber it does some to do with the compresion but most of it is lowered by the dished pistons. God I hope that its a 2.3 head. goin by what you've said It should be thanks for the quick reply's

yes. get the casting number and run them to know exactly what it is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

will it work?

Reply #8
Both of my Pintos '75 and '78 were 2.3L
Must be older than 75.

will it work?

Reply #9
I checked today. I took the 2.3 intake gasket for the 88 2.3T. Its got the round intake ports ,and the one hole is off for the intake. I also set a 2.3 head gasket on the bottom and it's the same thing. I bet it's 2.3 the shop never checked the numbers they just decked it, cleaned it, valve job, new cam and followers, new bearings, new valves, new guides. its basically brand spankin new.I would have talked to the guy that did the work but he doesn't work there any more because, the parts company I work for closed the machine shop part of the store. Just so we could add inventory. Got the real deal today from the store manager.  $100 its mine.  Tomorrow I'm gonna drive back there and charges it to my employee account. Had to get put on Charge not COD. Anyhow the manager put it in his office. So what do ya'll think
Da Bird!

FreeBird

will it work?

Reply #10
Are the intake ports round (as in circular), or oval?

If they are actually round then it probably is a Ranger 2.0 head because I believe they had round intake ports. I don't know if I would necessarily pay $100 for a Ranger 2.0 head.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

will it work?

Reply #12
Quote from: Chuck W
Pinto 2.0 heads will NOT bolt up to a 2.3 Lima block.

They are both NOT Lima blocks.

Ranger 2.0 heads are garbage.

Thanks for correcting me. Always thought they were Limas. When did the Lima start then?
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost