Skip to main content
Topic: Running 6 quarts of oil? (Read 1953 times) previous topic - next topic

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Since I had to do this for my last track event to keep the motor from running out of oil in fast corners...I noticed that my oil pressure (on the buttstuffog cluster) was higher, but it was a good thing.

The motor has 150,000+ miles on it and the oil pressure reads to the low part on the "NORM" area of the gauge.  When I change the oil the fresh oil will bump it up to a safer part, usually in the middle.

I ran 6 quarts of oil and it stayed in the middle, is was kinda reassuring.  So would it still be a bad idea to run another quart of oil on a worn out 5.0?
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #1
Well...running 6 quarts isn't such a good idea because then you start to get a lot of oil up into the crank. Then you get "windage" from the oil wrapping around the crank, and also the crank beats the oil into a froth which is never a good thing.

Maybe you just need a heavier weight oil? I'm not sure.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #2
Yeah, what weight of oil do you run?
One 88

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #3
Good points, forgot about that whole crankshaft thing getting in the way thing.:brick: 

I'm running 10w30 in the car, no oil consumption problems and have two minor leaks, one at the rear main and another at the sending unit.  Not quite sure I wanna run a heavier weight oil just to make the gauge read higher, the car runs fantastic overall.  :dunno:
pro-five-oh

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #4
You might try on the next oil change to put in a qt of Lucus oil treatment. Works well on older engines.
 Just my 2 cents

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #5
Is it true that as the crank comes into contact with the oil (due to overfill) that it can actually cause the crank to erode?

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #6
I think he meant Aireate( splash around in the oil and cause air pockets). The splashing also robs H.P.:yuck:

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #7
so. heres a question about splashing. if it not over full and you make a hard left or right  wouldnt it splash from side to side. in the pan.
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #8
Quote from: CougarCoupe88
so. heres a question about splashing. if it not over full and you make a hard left or right  wouldnt it splash from side to side. in the pan.

Unless you spend your life running NASCAR ovals, a hard right/left in daily driving won't affect much of anything.

I've used Lucas before, I might put it in next oil change. But the car runs pretty well, I'm wondering if I should just not bother since it runs fine.
pro-five-oh

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #9
Also when the engine is running the pan has less than 5 quarts in it...so that helps a little.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #10
Quote from: pro-five-oh
Since I had to do this for my last track event to keep the motor from running out of oil in fast corners...I noticed that my oil pressure (on the buttstuffog cluster) was higher, but it was a good thing.

The motor has 150,000+ miles on it and the oil pressure reads to the low part on the "NORM" area of the gauge.  When I change the oil the fresh oil will bump it up to a safer part, usually in the middle.

I ran 6 quarts of oil and it stayed in the middle, is was kinda reassuring.  So would it still be a bad idea to run another quart of oil on a worn out 5.0?

I would suggest the correct oil pan with  baffles and such for track style events. I am assuming you auto x the car?

running it overfull is robbing power and will aireate the oil  wich will eventually destroy the engine bearings.

as suggested before a thicker weight oil .. even like a straight 40 or 50 weight . will help against vescosity breakdown.

I would also suggest a mechanical oil pressure gauge. 

oil pressure spec is

40-65psi @ 2,000 rpm with engine fully warm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #11
oil pressure spec is

40-65psi @ 2,000 rpm with engine fully warm

then i got some good oil pressur in my car in park at idle i get 40 . but does sweep up to 60 when i hit it.
on a side note of the gauge. you will really know how much oil psi you are at. bc when i bought my car the gauge said i had nada for psi. (old sending unit) and i have great oil pressure. you could try a new sending unit to see if it changes anything.
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #12
If you do plan on attending more and more events, a nice oil pain with baffles, a new oil pickup (if the pan requires), and a windage tray would be great

a windage tray, and a properly made crank ser is good for a couple horsepower also
It's Gumby's fault.

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #13
Quote from: CougarCoupe88
then i got some good oil pressur in my car in park at idle i get 40 . but does sweep up to 60 when i hit it.

yep sounds like your is still healthy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Running 6 quarts of oil?

Reply #14
Quote from: Tbird232ci
If you do plan on attending more and more events, a nice oil pain with baffles, a new oil pickup (if the pan requires), and a windage tray would be great

a windage tray, and a properly made crank ser is good for a couple horsepower also

I'll get a nice pan when this motor takes and dump, not gonna mess with it now.

Well it was a nice thought to run another quart (wait, no it wasn't :nono:) but I think the motor is fine the way it is.  Back to suspension mods.:)
pro-five-oh