Skip to main content
Topic: any efi 351w's here? (Read 1709 times) previous topic - next topic

any efi 351w's here?

i'm trying to decide what to do, carb or injected. will the stock t-bird efi lines(86) be enough to support a 400hp 351?
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #1
If you mean flywheel horsepower yes. My 88 made about 380 at the crank. I used the stock fuel lines and rails (just extended them in the middle) and ran a 255lph pump and 30LB injectors. I had to get it tuned because it was running super-rich regarless of what I did to it, so yeah you should be fine.
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #2
Quote from: Mercoug302
My 88 made about 380 at the crank.

Made? Don't have it anymore?

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #3
Quote from: JeremyB
Made? Don't have it anymore?

Nope, a cracked block can prove to be a major power inhibitor :o The car is under a cover in my driveway until . . .

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #4
I HAVE a 351 in my car. You will have to mass air  the car and a chip will porably be required to get the A/F right.

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #5
I still HAVE it, it just doesn't run anymore :(. Mine was SCT dyno-tuned also down in Atlanta (by the "J" himself before the merger with Superchips when he was still with "fordchip") back in '03 with the 90mm L-maf. Awesome piece, especailly for 150.00 from the ford dealer.

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #6
Yes, I'm a SCT dealer. I like their products alot.

What happen to your block?

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #7
I had a slight "incident" with my 1996 cougar which was my daily driver (that was also SCT tuned by the way :D). I was pretty much forced to drive the 88 every day for about 7 months (from the beginning of fall, to the end of winter) until my insurance finally paid to fix my MN-12. That didn't come a moment too soon as I started to notice that I was beginning to lose coolant at an alarming rate. I thought it was just a bad HG so I replaced them, still no luck. I had the heads mag'd, they proved to be fine. Turned out the block is cracked in one of the waterjackets.
Since that time period I have moved 4 times, and do not have the facilities, tools or time to rebuild the car. So it sits under a cover until I figure out what I can do. I guess I just got a -shot that's all. The block came from a junkyard, but it was from a 1997 F-250 that only had about 20,000 miles on it. I put about 30,000 on it until this happened.

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #8
Is that a Anniversary car?
Was the '97 windsor a hyd roller cam motor? I have heard diffrent stories about the late model windsors being hyd rollers. Just curious.

Good looking cat. What did you do to mount the A/C braket on the windsor?

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #9
It's an 88 XR7, med scarlet. I only WISH it was a 20th . .

Heh, I KNEW you'd catch the A/C bracket (or lack of). It's sitting ontop of the factory 5.0L P/S pump. Basically the 4 bolts on the bottom are what's holding it there, and my A/C was functional. I ordered the 351W swap A/C bracket, but I could never seem to get my hands on a mustang P/S pump and A/C lines. So I used all of the factory ones. It never gave me troube, just doesn't look sturdy. It is also a hyd roller motor. I was using a mild 5.0L EFI lunati street cam in it (.512/.512 lift, 220/220 duration) 1993.5-1997's are factory rollers.

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #10
Yeah, I had to get a mustang P/S pump.
Good know about the engines I had heard something like that but they told me only Lightning motors.

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #11
yea the 93-97 or 93-98 351's were roller motors.

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #12
The '93-'95 Lightnings all have flat tappet cams, but begnning mid/late '93 the blocks are roller compatable... My early '93 L has a flat tappet block. Basically the roller blocks have a F4xxxx casting number. Anything else(which will be F2xxxx and earlier) and it ain't a roller.

As far as the std 351 P/U & van It's said some of the late '93s were roller(but it may only be a roller compatable block). All '94-'96 are roller...

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #13
Thanks for the info I guess the F3 would be the start of the block casting # above starter?

any efi 351w's here?

Reply #14
still trying to decide if i should use the 351 or just build the 302 up. i really want to do the 351 but my budget ain't real big right now.
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe