Skip to main content
Topic: 86 Digital Speedo Color Swap Question (Read 2266 times) previous topic - next topic

86 Digital Speedo Color Swap Question

Hey, I've tried searching and haven't really been able to find what I'm looking for.  I have an 86 thunderbird with the digital speedo.  This is my daily driver for now and I like to tinker and can never leave well enough alone.  I was thinking about getting some of those gauges off ebay that are white faced and light up blue.  I would only do it if there is a way to also do the speedo.  I have taken the dash out once, but that was a while ago and it was for a repair.  I was wondering if anyone has attempted to change the color or can point me in the right direction.  I don't know if it's just got like a green cover over a light or if it's more involved.  Thanks

Jason

Reply #2
I actually did that mod to an '89 LS dash (and still have that dash lying around). I don't think the 85-88 dash is quite so easy though - the green part is integrated into the LCD unit
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Thanks for the help guys.  That's what I was wondering about.

Reply #4
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
I actually did that mod to an '89 LS dash (and still have that dash lying around). I don't think the 85-88 dash is quite so easy though - the green part is integrated into the LCD unit

being that it's integrated, you can't change it?

Reply #6
Really?? I want to change mine really bad!

Reply #7
Well...it wasn't fun. Once the speedo is removed from its plastic prison, you will find that there is a special green plastic filter on the outside of the display. You can change your color with a different plastic filter. The speedo, without the filter, lights up in shades of a dirty greyish-brown color. So it really shouldn't matter too much what's in front of it. I did mine in a bluish-green color.

The filter has to be semi-translucent; in other words, not like the plastic in 3-D glasses. It has to be more opaque than that. So...take yourself to the local Staples or other office supply shop, start looking at plastic notebooks and binders...and you're on your way...

But be prepared for a lot of experimentation. ;)

Reply #8
Thanks! U da man! As I told you the other day, I came up with something new for the dash in my Cougar, but it required the use of the original speedo. However, I didn't want it to stay green. I might just buy another gauge cluster from another Cougar or Thunderbird soon to experiment with.

Reply #9
Eric: Isn't the green stuff stuck on the speedo glass? I though it was in the full cluster I just did the W2 mod to, but I didn't go too far into taking it apart 'cuz I didn't want to ruin it
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #10
I believe...and forgive me, it's been a few years now...that the green plastic filter is glued to the front of the speedo. I severed it with an X-Acto knife and lots of patience. IIRC I started at the edge and pulled back, and it peeled off. Practiced on a spare speedo first.

Reply #11
After all these years the adhesive and plastic piece are probably pretty brittle so it shouldn't be too hard to get the glue to let go.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #12
Any chance it could be as simple as putting a colored bulb in it? Not to get the artistic people started about colors but I always thought if you , for example, shine a yellow light through a blue piece of plastic it would be green, and so on I forgot what all color combinations make different colors. That ones easy to remember they've worn it out with the ziploc commercials. wouldnt that same theory also pour over into this situation too?
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

94 Lincoln Towncar, Dark Metallic Green, 4.6L AOD
SOLD!!!!

99 Mercury Cougar. V6 MTX75 Trans. CURRENT PROJECT DAILY DRIVER.

Reply #14
hey guys i did mine in blue by taking the speedo pod out of the main housing then taking the guage out of the pod housing in the housing was a circut boad a thic clear plastic light difusser and the lcd screen with a piece of green opaque plastic glued on the back. i just removed the plastic, it was easy!!! then i just took a light grit sandpaper and roughed up the clear plastic diffuser and lit the thing with two blue l.e.d.'s it looks awsome. the only thing is you need to find a alternate power source for the l.e.d.s because if you turn on the headlight dimmers the l.e.d.s won't work.  l.e.d.s are all or nothing. but it is really awsome..
I love it when a plan comes together!!!-Hanibal Smith (A-Team)