Skip to main content
Topic: Whats ur Napster etc MP3 experience? (Read 2853 times) previous topic - next topic

Whats ur Napster etc MP3 experience?

Keep in mind this is from an MP3 ignorant guy ;) , I spent some of the holiday getting up to speed on the MP3 stuff out there(just recently went broadband), although I don't have an MP3 player other than the PC.

Just checked out Napster and was surprised how you could download a lot of the latest commercial CD's tracks.... There are a lot of other MP3 sites, but they seem to be in Russia and while the tracks are like only $0.10 I don't feel like its a good idea giving a credit card over beyond the iron curtain.:nono:

I've got 7 days to cancel the trial, and was wondering what anyone else uses for this stuff....

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

Reply #1
why pay for the stuff when you can still get it for free?  Ares  is what I have been using.  doesnt work well with win98 but who uses that anymore?  I havent had any problems since I changed to XP

Reply #2
Ditto

Ares is alright, I prefer Limewire theres tons of programs out there, just avoid kazaa and you'll be good to go
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #3
Ipod-Itunes when I want to buy, and Limewire when I want to share...Never any problems, and as user friendly as can be.

Reply #4
Limewire. Just a hint: You can use Limewire's own program against itself. Tired of seeing those "Upgrade to Pro" popups every time you start the program? Just use Limewire to search for Limewire Pro ;)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
Hey Joe -

I'm not really sure, but i've heard that anything you download off of napster will not be accessible once your subscription with them ends, and anything you buy off of itunes will not come in .mp3 format. I've been tempted to buy things off of the MSN music website, seems no strings are attached there.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #6
Ipod-Itunes when I want to buy, and Limewire when I want to share...Never any problems, and as user friendly as can be.

:iagree:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
iTunes songs are in AAC protected format (.m4p), 128kb. But all one needs to do is burn them to a CD in iTunes, then rip again from the burned CD in whatever format you desire. ;) Quality seems to be just fine...I've never had an issue with sound quality.

Reply #8
If you like getting whole albums, or discographies (collections of albums) go the route of BitTorrent.  A good torrent search site is Torrentspy.com and a great client is BitComet.  The way it works is, in a nutshell, you search out albums (or tv shows, movies, games, apps, etc) that you'd like to "share" from Torrentspy, then download the .torrent file.  The file will be associated with BitComet and it will take over and run as many other P2P Filesharing programs do.  Instead of downloading stuff file-by-file, you'll download archives (ZIP, RAR files) or folders/directories full of files.

Reply #9
The only beef I have with Bit Torrent is that it takes forever to download just about anything, even over broadband.  You may as well let it run all night downloading.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #10
That's usually what I do, Jim.  Sometimes it putters along at a constant 40k/sec then other times I'll get an odd duck that will blast through at upwards of 200 k/sec.  The problem is that no one wants to re-seed after they have it downloaded.  I try to leave it up until I've at least uploaded the same amount I downloaded, that is, after all the proper torrent ettiquette.