Skip to main content
Topic: isnt this beautiful..... (Read 1381 times) previous topic - next topic

isnt this beautiful.....

i did this on thanks giving and haven really worried about it yet...... now i cant shut my hood without having to pull my grille out...

does anyone have one of these cables? or any suggestions on rigging it?

isnt this beautiful.....

Reply #1
I went to the boneyard and got mine.It wasn't that hard to change.Took me about 30 minutes.Got the cable for $5.00.Good luck.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

isnt this beautiful.....

Reply #2
heh...that sucks dude....shouldnt be too bad to fix though. common deal on an older ford. mine is starting to get a little tight as well :(
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

isnt this beautiful.....

Reply #3
theirs a piece of plastic holding it on that has to be removed, andy ou gotta dissconnect it from the latch under the hood, then pull it threw the fender and the firewall to get it out. now putting it in, it is easier to take the fender off, slide it threw the hole on firewall and run it back to the latch. i'v done it about 3x now... except mine is usualy the plastic that brakes.

isnt this beautiful.....

Reply #4
I just cut the cable off to a couple of feet.  Now my hood release is a key ring soldered to the cable just above the air dam on the front.  One of these days I'll fix it more permanently...
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

isnt this beautiful.....

Reply #5
I see mine doing that any day now.

isnt this beautiful.....

Reply #6
Tie a string to the old one before you pull it out. Now you have a long piece of string going from your engine bay to the interior. Tie the string to the hood release end and pull it back through. Voila, no fender removing for you!

isnt this beautiful.....

Reply #7
Two words... Hood Pins.  That's what i did and it's workin alright.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

isnt this beautiful.....

Reply #8
My mechanic broke mine when they did all that AC and heater core work to it and they replaced it with an NOS part free of charge.  :D

I guess that really doesn't help you, but I just wanted to brag.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

isnt this beautiful.....

Reply #9
Get rid of it and mount some hood pins...............Fixed my problem but then again the latch couldnt hold the hood down with the scoop at 80 MpH