Skip to main content
Topic: Heater fan? (Read 1127 times) previous topic - next topic

Heater fan?

My heater fan only works on high. I thought I read a thread about a risistor or somthing in there. Any help would be appreciated.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Heater fan?

Reply #1
Basically, the resistor block consists of 3 resistors and a thermal limiter. If the thermal limiter blows, then none of the resistors work and only high works (since high takes full voltage from the input and all other take fractions of full voltage to give you lower fan speeds).

The blower motor resistor block is located behind the glove-box. To get to it, push the tabs on each side of the glove-box in and swing it down. You'll see an electrical connector secured by two hex-head fasteners going in the MVAC box. Just remove the old and install a new one that you bought from Ford.

Make sure none of the resistor coils touch each other when you install it. If they do, those two fan speeds won't work. It is easy to knock them around.

Heater fan?

Reply #2
Thanks for the help. Why do you tell me to get one from FORD? any certain reason? I work at a parts store so I might be able to get it really cheap. Also is it the same part for 83-88 models?
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Heater fan?

Reply #3
Quote from: ipsd
Thanks for the help. Why do you tell me to get one from FORD? any certain reason? I work at a parts store so I might be able to get it really cheap. Also is it the same part for 83-88 models?

As long as it ain't made in China, a aftermarket resistor is prolly OK.

I imagine 83-88 are the same.... BUT YOU WORK AT A PARTS STORE, LOOK IT UP!!

Heater fan?

Reply #4
I don't think you can buy a resistor block at a parts store. I couldn't find any online. That is the main reason I suggested going to a dealership.

I don't know if the part is the same for '83-'88 models.

Heater fan?

Reply #5
Most of the time on that stuff I find the only way to find it is to have yours in hand and do a visual match. Just wondering I have and 88 cougar parts wreck.  I could pull it from that car match it up if it was the same. Then I have the heater the whole time.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Heater fan?

Reply #6
a year or so ago, the resistor in my f-150 went bad, no parts store had any replacements...had to get one from a dealershiznit*.

*dealershiznit: any dealer like the one nearest me...ya know one somwehere...the ones YOU know more 'n they do!
(the proper term may be shiznit-dealer!)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)