Skip to main content
Topic: LMAO, Even dogs hate macs! (Read 1645 times) previous topic - next topic

LMAO, Even dogs hate macs!

OK, so I brought a G3 home from work seeing as they were going to throw it away and I could use it to test web sites.

Well, I brought my dog upstairs and she starts going nuts growling and barking at it. Apparently Macs are not K9 friendly.  :shakehead

I figured Eric would enjoy that bit of info  :grinno:

Re: LMAO, Even dogs hate macs!

Reply #1
*imagines Eric's responses*

:brick:
:bricks1:
 :crazy:  :wtf:  :hick:
 :flip:
 :ies:

Oh wait, the last one was Ifixyawata's possible response.. :p

Reply #2
If the Mac is running Jaguar/10.2 or Panther/10.3 OS's, that would explain it Crystal. ;)

Is it a beige G3, or blue-and-white?

Reply #3
Quote from: EricCoolCats
If the Mac is running Jaguar/10.2 or Panther/10.3 OS's, that would explain it Crystal. ;)

Is it a beige G3, or blue-and-white?

LOL, It's one of these:

No clue what os is on it or anything like that.

So... you're the mac man, what can I do with it? After keeping it in the back seat of my car for 3 days I brought it inside. Haven't set it up yet though

BTW... it's really heavy compared to the rest of my computers what's up with that?

Reply #4
They're about 35-40 lbs. stock....not light, that's for sure! That's a blue-and-white G3, which was the model right before the G4 changeover. More than likely it's a 400 Mhz machine--not too shabby. It will boot into OS 9 and OS X, another plus. Only thing I'd suggest to check is the connection for the hard drive. In that model it could be either ATA or SCSI. In either case you can throw 2 more HD's in there, but it helps to know the connection first. ;) Unless the HD has been replaced you probably won't see more than a 9GB HD though. It uses PCI 100 memory and should have a total of 4 slots. That's also a ZIF processor so upgrades are possible (500 Mhz for under $200, 600 Mhz for well under $300). It should also have a SCSI card at the very bottom in the back. I believe those had a 100 Mhz frontside bus. Specs are here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58226

I like to think of the blue-and-white G3 as the "magic" Mac. It's the last of Macs with the older Apple ADB (serial) port and SCSI card, but it's the first Mac tower with USB 1.1 and Firewire (1333) ports. It literally has the best of both worlds. You can use either an ADB or USB keyboard, for example. You can literally upgrade just about everything in that computer. Obviously since it's an Apple it's going to be a little more expensive to do that vs. a PC, but if you need pointers let me know.

Reply #5
Quote from: EricCoolCats
They're about 35-40 lbs. stock....

LOL, it's a computer, not a car  :giggle:

So not bad for a freebie I take it...

The guy that was using it was having issues with the video card not seating right or something, but he's not the most computer savvy person, so I need to crack it open and take a peek. I think it is still just the 9 gb hd which is just madness! A little work and it'll be able to do more than I need it to.

Reply #6
Hell yeah, it's a great freebie. It won't be a speed demon in any OS, but it will be reliable and get the job done. I used a 400 Mhz b&w G3 at my old job for 5 years. Photoshop was sometimes agonizingly slow but it still ran fine. That has a PCI video card and it's goofy; should be a Rage 128 16MB card. If that computer has a combo or DVD drive, there's a daughter card attached to the video card that can act up. As far as I know, ATI is the only company still making a compatible replacement video card for it. I have the Radeon 7000 32MB dual monitor PCI card in my similar 350Mhz G4 PCI tower---works fine. They're relatively inexpensive on eBay.

I forgot to mention...if you go to the Apple menu in the upper left, and choose 'Apple System Profiler', it will tell you everything about the computer's hardware.