Skip to main content
Topic: CD Player (Read 894 times) previous topic - next topic

CD Player

Hey i'm Brent i just joined...well.now..I have a tech question for oyu guys.  I have an 88 T-bird, 3.8 with stock cassette head unit and graphic equillizer.  I bought a Cd player a while back..tried to install it and it would get power but no sound..took it too a mechanic and he couldn't figure it out either..then i found out that i'd have to rewire it and pout in new speaks from best buy, where i bought the unit from. So they said its $400 just for installation, so i said F that!..it would of worked if i didnt' keep teh GE...but its a massive part of the dash..and i want to keep it..is there anyway it can be by passed? thank-you
PS- i sold the Cd player already..but just need info for future.:yuck:
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

CD Player

Reply #1
The cars with the EQ have a second speaker plug taped to a main harness, just to the right of the EQ. The wires connect directly to the speakers so NO rewiring is necessary. Word of warning!!! When using this plug the amp in the trunk MUST be disconnected, or you'll have trunk full of smoke from the amp and maybe a screwed head unit.

CD Player

Reply #2
just yank all ford  out and redo it your self.
If using the stock speekers just rewire them and thatway when u get around to buy some good speekers its almost like Plug and play.

CD Player

Reply #3
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
The cars with the EQ have a second speaker plug taped to a main harness, just to the right of the EQ. The wires connect directly to the speakers so NO rewiring is necessary. Word of warning!!! When using this plug the amp in the trunk MUST be disconnected, or you'll have trunk full of smoke from the amp and maybe a screwed head unit.

Ok, so he would have to tap into both plugs for it to work correctly? Or just wire the headunit to the plug next to the EQ? If he was installing a new headunit, couldn't he just bypass the EQ system, because most newer cd players have them built in.

CD Player

Reply #4
The second speaker plug Tom mentioned is wired directly to the speakers and bypasses the EQ and the factory amp in the trunk.  If you use a commercially available harness adapter to tie into that plug then you should get sound through the speakers with an aftermarket head unit.

Just remember to unplug the amp in the trunk first or else you will fry it and it will smell very much bad.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

CD Player

Reply #5
I actually just rewired my whole car with 16 gauge wire. Sure it was a pain in the ass, but it sounds so much better than the tiny 22 gauge  they put in stock.  But after putting RCA wires, speaker wires, 4 gauge power cable for my sub, remote line, and the bass  cable under the driver and passenger running boards (I think that is what they are called), I had to kinda pack them back on and use larger screws.  Personally I think it is worth it, and don't buy your speaker cable from Best Buy or Ultimate Electronics, they'll try to sell you the monster cable stuff which is like three times as expensive.  I got a 50ft roll of good quality stuff from Wal Mart for ten bucks. Good Luck either way.