Skip to main content
Topic: Trunk trim (Read 1186 times) previous topic - next topic

Trunk trim

Will the trim inside the trunk of an 87 cougar fit my 85 t-bird?

Trunk trim

Reply #1
Mmmm....I'm going to have to go ahead and say 'no'. There were major differences with those panels between 1986 and 1987. I've tried to retrofit before with not-so-good results.

Trunk trim

Reply #2
Are you talking about the interior trunk panels?If so,I'm going to pillage parts Friday from a '86 Cougar.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Trunk trim

Reply #3
I tried using a trunk from a '87 T-bird...rear window line is different...
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Trunk trim

Reply #4
Aren't the Cougar trunks longer?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Trunk trim

Reply #5
I am talking about the trim panels on the inside.  When I had my exhuast put on they were welding  the bracket on the passenger side and caught the inside of the trunk on fire.  Nearly burned down the whole car.  Basically I am needing all of the interior trim panels for the trunk.  I have an 87 cougar for a parts car but it's about an hour away so I can't easily check to see if it fits.  If they don't fit I will just look for some off of a t-bird in the local bone yard.  I was just hoping someone might know for sure if they fit.  It won't cost me much at the bone yard which is why I had them take money off the bill instead of having them fix it.  Jason.

Trunk trim

Reply #6
I believe you can only use your trim from your body style. I know there was a difference in the side panels between my '88 T-Bird and '88 Cougar. And I compared the '88 Cougar panels to my '86 Cougar panels, and there is a difference there too.

Trunk liners are about the worst part to try and find now. Most of them cracked not long after the car was new. And at boneyards, IF you can find the trunk key, more often than not there's water in the trunk, junk parts,  from the previous owners, etc. It's just a big pain. On the convertible, the stock panels were cut down, so for me to get new ones I have to find good/perfect 1985-86 Cougar trunk panels...and then cut them. No thanks--I went custom and saved my cracked ones just in case. Like I said, it's a pain. Good luck finding what you need.

Trunk trim

Reply #7
I'll let you know Friday If I find them.If so,I'll try to post some pics.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Trunk trim

Reply #8
Hey Jason,there's still a few birds at liberty upullit in our area.Thhere's an 83 or 84 Elan that might have a nice setup that would fit.

Trunk trim

Reply #9
Mine weren't in the best condition to begin with.  I should be able to find something to suit me.  I prob. won't be able to make it to the bone yard until about december though. I didn't expect those cougar panels to work, but it was worth a shot.  Thanks guys.  Jason.