Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe - 5.0/T5 conversion (Read 1395 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe - 5.0/T5 conversion

PL, PW ,electronic climate control (set the temp and it does the rest!), dual power seats, premium sound, 4 wheel discs,8.8 posi with 3.55 gears.

Located in East Texas.

LOTS OF PICS HERE --> http://www.oldwestracing.com/images/misc/for_sale/tbird/

*Alpine stereo shown in pics does not go with car.*
*Original cassette deck will be reinstalled              *

Motor is strong and reliable. I have had the heads off (ran aftermarket set for a few months) and the bores still show cross hatch. Runs great. Motor and tranny are out of an '89 mustang and based on what I was told, should have somewhere around 50,000 miles.

Mileage: odometer shows 262,000 miles. I have no idea if that is correct or not. Car does not reflect that kind of mileage even with the faded interior and paint. The car is amazingly tight for that high of a number...or even half of that.

Fresh registration and inspection

Lots of new parts!
Items followed by * have less than 300 miles
Items followed by ** have less than 10k miles

Engine
- Converted to ’89 5.0. Wiring harness from mustang and t-bird grafted together by Windsor-Fox Engineering so all systems work.
- E303 cam
- Stock ported MAF
- Stock ported throttle body
- E7s with mildly ported exhaust port
- E303 cam
- BBK 2.5” H-pipe
- 190lph FMS fuel pump
- K&N filter
- performance coil
- performance wires **
- Crane roller lifters **
- ARP head bolts **
- Force Automotive lers *
- MAC 1 5/8 short headers **
- New Motor mounts **
- New Serpentine belt *
- New Battery *
- Flex fan *
- Rebuilt Alternator (upgraded to 90amp) **
- Chrome water pump **
- March Performance billet underdrive pullies (all but A/C) **
- A/C converted to 134a
- 31” aluminum radiator **

Suspension/Driveline
- Monroe shocks/struts *
- Wilwood proportioning valve *
- SVO aluminum master cylinder w/ 1” bore *
- ’94 mustang brake booster
- 255/50/16 Kuhmos on the rear *
- 245/50/16 Kuhmos on the front **
- u-joints **
- subframe connectors

Interior/Exterior
- Windshield *
- headliner **
- heater core **

Issues
-- Needs paint as the original has faded. See pics. Worst part is on horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, decklid) It looks like someone tried to repaint the hood at one point and so it isn’t as faded, but is still rough.
-- Seats are faded. Original color was a very dark blue with gray inserts. They faded to ligher blue (see pics)
-- Dashpad area over gauges is cracked (see pics)
-- Sun visors missing
-- Tranny whines a little in 1st but works fine
-- Speedo and Tach work fine, but aux gauges do not. They worked when I bought the car but stopped working when I removed the dash to replace the heater core. A set of after market gauges is in the car but only the water gauge is hooked up, and they need to be mounted.
-- Electronic suspension and ABS would work, but since I have installed standard shocks/struts and converted to vacuum brakes, I removed the computers. They will be supplied in case the buyer would like to convert back to stock.
-- Cruise cable cut. Not sure if would work upon replacement

ASKING $3000 obo

Reply #1
drive it to new jersey and ya got a deal lol... seriously, why are all the good cars priced fairly so far away from me... and why do i want to buy every car that i see and like... if only i was rich :(

Reply #2
ditto man...i wonder what it would actually cost to ship it...
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #3
I haven't checked on shipping in a while but it should be around $600. If you are serious, I'll check on it. :)

Reply #6
If only I hadn't dumped so much into my current car in restoring it, with still an engine to go, I'd be all over this and drive it halfway across the country.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #7
im wating on some money, but yes im interested. it would make a much better daily driver than my ranger. im watching it on ebay. well see how it goes...thanks...john

edit...shipping would be like 1200 bucks...ouch :(

it would be considerably less if you could drop it off at the shipping/loading port but from what it looks like the nearest one is 100 miles away from you. would you consider that? also if you take out the damage liability it goes down a few hunge....i wonder how risky that would be?

are there any other cheeper means of transporting. never dealt with it before. does anyone have any tips...? thannks...john

~John~

Reply #8
Quote from: shame302
im wating on some money, but yes im interested. it would make a much better daily driver than my ranger. im watching it on ebay. well see how it goes...thanks...john

edit...shipping would be like 1200 bucks...ouch :(

it would be considerably less if you could drop it off at the shipping/loading port but from what it looks like the nearest one is 100 miles away from you. would you consider that? also if you take out the damage liability it goes down a few hunge....i wonder how risky that would be?

are there any other cheeper means of transporting. never dealt with it before. does anyone have any tips...? thannks...john

I might consider it...what does it show to be the nearest port?
Let me check with a buddy. I may have an inside connection. With gas prices so high, it may never get very cheap.

Reply #9
accept payments? :D

Reply #10
Quote from: tbird96h
accept payments? :D

SURE! $3000 down and we'll work out the rest monthly. Give you a good rate too. :D

Reply #11
Didn't sell on ebay, so $2600

Reply #12
it...i just cant right now. still wating on money.

do you think it could handle a 2000 mile or whatever drive? just curious.  is it realy good and tight? it looks realy rust free what gets me....

~John~

Reply #13
Quote from: shame302
it...i just cant right now. still wating on money.

do you think it could handle a 2000 mile or whatever drive? just curious.  is it realy good and tight? it looks realy rust free what gets me....

It's just hard to answer that question. I don't see any reason it couldn't, but that is a long way, and it is an old car, even with all the upgrades.

The body is rust free. The only place there is any rust at all is on the driver's side control arm/a-frame. Before I bought it, there evidently was a leaky brake fitting on the ABS master cylinder. The guy before me fixed it but the brake fluid removed the paint and so let the surface rust happen. Not a big deal of course, and certainly nothing like body rust.

Reply #14
Still for sale...