Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 ECM Boggle...please help... (Read 1267 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 ECM Boggle...please help...

Howdy, y'all...

Anyway, I own a 1987 5.0 bird, and I let a friend take the stock ECM out of the car to use on hiw 1991 Ford F-150 302-powered truck, as his died as he was getting ready for a construction job road trip. It ran fine in his truck, but then the truck was stolen while in another state...so I don't have the original ECM anymore. I have another one out of a 1987 Mustang 5.0 speed density auto car. I installed this ECM into the T-bird, and while it runs, it does not 'behave' properly, as there is a bog under acceleration, and it won't idle properly.

My questions:
1. Has anyone here used a Mustang ECM in their car, and had similar results?

2. does the calibration only work for the Mustang, with the bigger stang cam and injectors?

Reply #1
different fireing order cheif
that computer wont work with your cam...all assuming you still have the SO anyway
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #2
Yes, I still have the SO engine in it....

Oops, I feel real stupid right now, I completely forgot about the firing order difference....really dumb, considering I had to correct a firing order problem on a customer's 1990 5.0 Bronco just last week...this guy put an HO cam in it, and it wouldn't start, he kept the SO firing order...

Reply #3
I have a 88 SO computer out of my t-bird if you want it make a offer.
1988 ThunderBird Sport
5.0 HO, 11" Mustang brakes, Pony rims
 :america:

Reply #4
Well, the plan was to put an HO engine in it anyway...and it is not a daily driver, so I am not going to stress about it...