Skip to main content
Topic: "Disabling" steering lock... (Read 1624 times) previous topic - next topic

"Disabling" steering lock...

Here's the deal. My '85 T-bird has a busted rear end and has been sitting for almost a year. I've finally got someone who can tow it up to the garage for me, but I've lost the ignition key. I have a new steering column for it (the existing one has a lot of side-to-side play on the tilt wheel). So, I need to know of an easy way to release the steering lock on the old steering column so it can be steered up the the garage without totally removing the steering column.

Reply #1
If you have a really strong flathead screwdriver, you could pound it through the ignition. It will split the lockset in half and it will fall out. Behind it is a slot your screwdriver can turn to unlock and start the car. I did this once on a Pontiac Grand Am that I broke the key off in. The car was pretty worthless to begin with, so I didn't really worry about more damage. I ended up driving the car for five or six months like that.

Reply #2
BTW,  you need a really tough screwdriver and a BIG hammer. Those locks are pretty strong.

Reply #3
If you pull off the plastic column cover,there's a pin in the ignition lock.You can use a punch and a hammer and tap the lock pin up and into the lock and pull the ignition lock right out.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Remind me never to leave my car around you guys...
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

Reply #5
You should be able to remove the plastic cover from the column and use a large drill bit in reverse to remove the bolts that hold the ignition on... if it was still that way in that year
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC