Skip to main content
Topic: Rough cold idle (Read 971 times) previous topic - next topic

Rough cold idle

My 87 XR7 with the HO starts great, comes off high idle within 10 seconds and idles very choppy (like it has a big cam)and seems like it would like to stall until it warms up, then it idles pretty smooth.  Is there likely a sensor gone bad or what?  I just reset the idle speed and adjusted/checked the TPS.  I have checked for vacuum leaks and checked for codes (nothing).  Replaced my injectors with some from a friend with no change and installed new spark-plugs.  It is just a cold idle problem that leads me to believe something electronic is not right(i.e. not telling the PCM that the car isn't warm yet).
  O2 sensors?
  ECT sensor?
  Suggestions??
  Tests?
 :canada:

Re: Rough cold idle

Reply #1
Anybody?

Reply #2
Check your ECT.  Might be just enough out of spec to run py and  not throw a code...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #3
Have you ran codes?
Sounds like it could be a map sensor,when mine went it wouldn't idle for .

Reply #4
Quote from: blakct
My 87 XR7 with the HO starts great, comes off high idle within 10 seconds and idles very choppy (like it has a big cam)and seems like it would like to stall until it warms up, then it idles pretty smooth.  Is there likely a sensor gone bad or what?  I just reset the idle speed and adjusted/checked the TPS.  I have checked for vacuum leaks and checked for codes (nothing).  Replaced my injectors with some from a friend with no change and installed new spark-plugs.  It is just a cold idle problem that leads me to believe something electronic is not right(i.e. not telling the PCM that the car isn't warm yet).
  O2 sensors?
  ECT sensor?
  Suggestions??
  Tests?
 :canada:

ive had the same problem ever since i got mine

ive changed every single sensor and nothin fixed it .YET

ive learned to live with it let me know if you find what is wrong
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #5
I agree with Chuck, replace the ECT sensor...

Reply #6
Just tossing this out there because I am still learning diagnosing the 5.0 motor. But I took off and removed my Idle Air Controller this past weekend and hit it with some carb cleaner, and I was kinda shocked at all the junk that came out. Its takes 5 minutes to do and a little bit of peace of mind. But I can see why the ECT would be suspect.