Skip to main content
Topic: 87' t-bird digital to turbo coupe buttstuffog instument gauge swap (Read 14439 times) previous topic - next topic

87' t-bird digital to turbo coupe buttstuffog instument gauge swap

Could somebody give me info and/or specifics reagarding this swap?
I've followed the wiring charts provided on this web site, but now when i turn on my lights my charging system fails! and my radio doesn't work now.

Re: 87' t-bird digital to turbo coupe buttstuffog instument gauge swap

Reply #1
Here ya go:

http://www.foxthundercats.net/tech/cluster.htm

This includes information on a resistor that must be added to the circuit to make your alternator charge.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
the problem with that wiring chart is that its not specific with the full digital to buttstuffog swap. It's more than likely just a ground problem I'm having

Reply #3
It's more than likely just a ground problem I'm having
Did you put in a resistor between terminals A4 and A6? If not, your alternator will never charge. Non-buttstuffog cars use a cluster with a warning lamp to supply the alt with "start-up" power via the ignition switch. There's also a parallel "back-up" 500 ohm resistor installed across the bulb just in case it burns out.

No resistor or bulb = no start-up current = no charge.

From the chart on the bottom half of Sam's page:

ALT lamp (IAR out) Light Green / Red - Plug A, terminal 4
 ALT feed from IGN (IAR in) Grey / Yellow - Plug A, terminal 6

Here's another from Eric's Coolcats site:
http://www.coolcats.net/media/elec2tc.pdf
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #4
Quote from: MasterBlaster

No resistor or bulb = no start-up current = no charge.

very interesting...ive never had a problem with it...
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
very interesting...ive never had a problem with it...
You probably connected the original warning light wires across the AMP meter instead (per Erics' PDFs). This would provide a path for the current, though the AMP meter likely won't show the correct (if any) reading, and I don't know if the different resistance in the circuit could adversely affect anything else.

Reply #6
Quote from: MasterBlaster
the AMP meter likely won't show the correct (if any) reading,..

The TC AMP meter is about as useless as tits on a boar hog. I've never seen one of the dozen TCs I've had, move more than just a flinch, The problem is the "C" shaped magnet in the gage itself, has died with age(but many orig owners have said they never remember their's working). I consider it one of the TCs MAJOR flaws, though 4 lug wheels have to rank way above that.

Reply #7
Tom and Carmen:

If the TC uses a shunt ammeter instead of the batt light/resistor combo, how does the alternator get the "charge signal"?  I've got an 88 EVTM, and I looked it up once or twice, and aside from moving at couple wires around, the TC harness for the section is really not much different from the regular cars.  Can the alts be different internally?  If so, what about the Sport?  It had the TC cluster using the V8 engine harness, so it must be using a modified V8 harness with the shunt wire in place (which is what I'm planning to do to my Bird to hopefully get the ammeter to work properly).  I don't beleive the sport had different alternators from the regular bird/cougar.

Reply #8
Joe the '88 TC indeed has a unique Hitachi alt, but the Sport(and '87 TC) uses a std Ford 2G alt.

I checked a couple of different EVTMs to be sure I'm correct, and here is the deal. As long a the "I" terminal receives voltage when the ign is switched on, the alt will start charging. The '88 3.8 and 5.0 diagram show the lamp and resistor in the circuit(obviously wrong for the Sport), while the TC circuit connects directly to the ign. switch without the lamp/resistor. The ammeter is part of the charge circuit connected from the output of the alt. feeding the battery.

Reply #9
I did the opposite I went from the base cluster to full digital. the only problem I had was my oil sending unit was the wrong one, my temp guage doesnt work, and the fuel sending unit is different. Man just use the wiring lists on the coolcats site. print out the one for your dash and the one for the dash youre putting in your car. the IAR and IVR serve the same purpose on the two.other then that everythings pretty much the same.
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

94 Lincoln Towncar, Dark Metallic Green, 4.6L AOD
SOLD!!!!

99 Mercury Cougar. V6 MTX75 Trans. CURRENT PROJECT DAILY DRIVER.

Reply #10
I did this swap a while ago using Erics schematics.  It didnt take me too long to do.  I did have to change the sending unit though (Oil)  I like the buttstuffog much better than the base digital.  Of course, Digital was the thing to have in the late 80s.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Reply #11
got everything workin' good. just had to put a 500 ohm resistor between two of the terminals on the plug, and presto! problem  solved. thanks to everyone  here who helped with my problem!

Reply #12
just had to put a 500 ohm resistor between two of the terminals
Nyah nyah.... told ya so!  :raspberry

"back-up" 500 ohm resistor installed across the bulb

Reply #13
I can get a cluster out of an 86? xr-7 turbo,  I've read that I cant modify the tach to work in my car (v6 soon to be v8).  Does this still hold true or has someone figured out how to do it?  If not you could just modify the signal going into the tach with a basic stamp.  Program it to pulse once per every two pulses recieved.
One 88

Reply #14
Well I found an 87 Cluster!
One 88