Skip to main content
Topic: Anybody try this 5 lug conversion? (Read 3564 times) previous topic - next topic

Anybody try this 5 lug conversion?

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=eadvsearch.asp&SearchType=Engine

It says all you do is pay 200 bucks and everything swaps out. What about the Rear??
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Re: Anybody try this 5 lug conversion?

Reply #1
link no workey. ;)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #2
Link doesn't show anything. I assume you mean this,

It'll work if you have a 83-85 1/2 Bird/Cougar or a Mustang rear end. That's the kit I used.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #3
Quote from: darkthunder
Link doesn't show anything. I assume you mean this,

It'll work if you have a 83-85 1/2 Bird/Cougar or a Mustang rear end. That's the kit I used.

Those axles were the same length as what you took out of there? Or did you move everything in?  I'm pretty sure they're shorter.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
thats not the one. here

FMS-M-2026-C $199.95
Estimated Ship Date:  9/9/05
  Application  Show All 

Brand: Ford Racing Performance Parts
Product Line: Ford Racing Front Brake Rotor Kits
Intended for Street Use: Yes
For Use with Stock Calipers: Yes
Rotor Construction: Vented
Rotor Style: Cross-drilled and slotted surface
Rotor Outside Diameter (in): 11.65
Rotor Material: Iron
Rotor Finish: Natural
Quantity: Sold as a pair.

Brake Rotors, Cross-Drilled/Slotted, Iron, Natural Finish, Rear, Left/Right, Ford, Mustang, Pair

Check to make sure this part fits your application
Change your front rotors to 5-lug types, so you can switch to the wheels you want.
Got a 1987-93 Mustang that still has the stock 4-bolt wheels? Ford Racing's front brake rotor kits allow you to dump the old-style 4-lug rotors and switch to the newer, much more popular 5-lug versions. That will vastly increase your selection of wheels, because there are many more wheel styles available for cars set up for 5-lug rotors. The kits include two rotors, two grease seals, and two cotter pins. A change of wheels will be required.

This is the only pic i could get of it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #5
Quote from: Chuck W
Those axles were the same length as what you took out of there? Or did you move everything in? I'm pretty sure they're shorter.

Yep. But I have rear out of a Mustang. Which I compared to the rear I pulled from the Bird and they were indentical.

Cougarrr302 - that kit's description is kinda odd. In the title it says it's for the front and in the middle it says it's for the rear. Nevertheless it is still for SN-95 Stangs so no it won't kit without all the other corresponding SN-95 components (spindles, brackets, calipers...).

This kit will work if you have TC or Mustang V8 spindles.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=FMS%2DM%2D1102%2DC&N=400070+302864&autoview=sku

Eric knows of a rotor kit for 10 inch guys, I just don't remember the link at the moment.

Reply #6
MK VII rotors will also work, actually thats what those look like. ;)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #7
Yep. But I have rear out of a Mustang. Which I compared to the rear I pulled from the Bird and they were indentical.

The housing itself, or the overall axle length?

There is just to much freakiness with these things if so, as those would have been too short to work on my 83-84 rear axles.  Yes the housings are the same length, but in both instances, the axles themselves were the same length as the SN-95 (94-98) stuff.....which are longer than the Fox pieces......

Reply #8
Housing and axles... not unless someone put a Stang rear in it before I bought it. Which isn't entirely out of the question seeing how the K-member is from a stang to and I never new it until I can to this board and realized that stangs and birds have different motor mounts. lol. I could grab an axle from the yard one day and compare just to make sure.

Reply #9
Well thanks guys. Im not ready yet for a conversion if I do it. In the end I'll probably find a new rear end.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
Housing and axles... not unless someone put a Stang rear in it before I bought it. Which isn't entirely out of the question seeing how the K-member is from a stang to and I never new it until I can to this board and realized that stangs and birds have different motor mounts. lol. I could grab an axle from the yard one day and compare just to make sure.

Is yours an 85 or 86?

I bet the Mustang axles assy was swapped as a whole....

Reply #11
Quote from: Chuck W
Is yours an 85 or 86?

I bet the Mustang axles assy was swapped as a whole....

Cougarrr, sounds like a good idea. Good luck with it. :)

Reply #12
if it was an 85 it was prolly stock. Didnt the 83-851/2 have the mustang motor mounts too?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
Well it will be a project for another time. Probably years in the future. There are other things I want done before that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #14
Quote from: Haystack
if it was an 85 it was prolly stock.

I am going to say doubtful.....we've gone through this discussion before...same housing, longer axles....