Skip to main content
Topic: flaky A/C operation (Read 2521 times) previous topic - next topic

flaky A/C operation

Hey all,

Replaced everything under the hood last summer in my 88 XR7 and converted to r134a: condensor, compressor, dryer, pressure switch, all lines.  The car has manual A/C and the head unit seems fine.

But recently the a/c comes on and off whenever it wants.  When it does come on, its ice cold, so its not low on r134.  Drove to work today, the A/C wheezed out of the dash after about 10 mins of use.  Opened the hood at work and sure enough the compressor was not turning.

I tested the pressure switch on the dryer, it works fine...the problem is upstream...I hear a relay clicking (near the airbox, bolted to the fender apr0n) when I jump the pressure switch on the times when the compressor will not engage.

Does the clicking mean my relay is bad and that's all there is?

That would explain the intermittent-ness of this thing.

Thanks. :D
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Re: flaky A/C operation

Reply #1
If you jumped the switch and the compressor still did not come on, I would say you have a bad coil in the compressor clutch. It gets heated up and disengages the system.

Reply #2
The clutch could be getting worn out too. The gap between plates gets too wide for the magnetism to work once heated up. The clutch needs to be taken off / apart and reshimmed. Momsy's Taurus just had it done.

Quick way to test... engine running, A/C on full so clutch SHOULD be engaged, tap the face of the clutch with a hammer handle, broomstick or similar, see if it engages.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #3
Quick way to test... engine running, A/C on full so clutch SHOULD be engaged, tap the face of the clutch with a hammer handle, broomstick or similar, see if it engages.

You beat me to it... Thats how mine was working, just a little tap and she engaged.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
The clutch is new too, along with all the other parts.  It seems like what controls the clutch is not working 100%. But ya'll could be right, I'll give it a tap next time.

What about that relay on the fender?  I heard its a WOT cutout relay and if that part is clicking intermittently, could it be the problem? From what I heard on another forum, I should jump the two big pr0ngs on that relay and see what happens.
pro-five-oh

Reply #5
tap the wot relay too, couldn't hurt at this point..

Speaking of the WOT relay I had problems with that myself years back. My connector and the wires leading to it were so screwed up I went to the pick and pull and snipped off the relay and like 18" of the wire leading to it and spliced it onto my car. It worked fine after that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
Short the pressure switch and see if you get 12V at the compressor clutch input. If not, your WOT relay is probably bad. This is a fairly common problem. If you get 12V, follow the above recommendations.

Reply #7
Quote from: JeremyB
Short the pressure switch and see if you get 12V at the compressor clutch input. If not, your WOT relay is probably bad. This is a fairly common problem. If you get 12V, follow the above recommendations.

Sounds like my WOT relay is bad.  Thanks guys. :)
pro-five-oh

Reply #8
Mine had new seals and recharged. quit after 3 days. same deal
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #9
I went through the same thing with my car.  The WOT relay was bad.  But for some reason my cutoff switch was bad as well.
One 88

Reply #10
New relay ($12) and now all is well.  I drove around for an hour with the A/C on and nothing bad happened, so I guess its all fixed. I also tested the WOT function and it seems to be fine...I could have just ran a code scanner on it, but that wouldn't be much fun as the lead foot method.

Thanks everyone!
pro-five-oh

Reply #11
If I can ask, for those that have converted everything, how much will this end up costing me to convert mine?

Reply #12
If you flush out the condensor/dryer/lines with brake cleaner and compressed air it is only the price of a compressor and the freon and PAG oil.  $300 or so in parts.

But after hearing about products like Freeze 12 that works in R-12 systems, r134a isn't worth it.  The R-12 is waaaay for these foxbody Fords.  Too late for me, I already converted. :(
pro-five-oh

Reply #13
Quote from: pro-five-oh
New relay ($12) and now all is well.  I drove around for an hour with the A/C on and nothing bad happened, so I guess its all fixed. I also tested the WOT function and it seems to be fine...I could have just ran a code scanner on it, but that wouldn't be much fun as the lead foot method.

Thanks everyone!

The EEC does not monitor the WOT A/C cutout relay, so the scanner won't tell you a thing.

Reply #14
I thought thats why you hit the gas (above 3000rpm or so) in the KOER test?
pro-five-oh