Skip to main content
Topic: Misfire - '88 TC (Read 2605 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Misfire - '88 TC

Reply #15
Pulled the head off and the gasket popped between cylinder 2 & 3.

Head is back on and need to button up a few other items.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #16
That sucks, especially since your spark plugs dont indicate a blown headgasket couldve been the issue.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #17
That sucks, especially since your spark plugs dont indicate a blown headgasket couldve been the issue.

It's actually pretty common. These things will blow the gasket between cylinders rather than between the cylinder and cooling jacket. The plus might just show rich, which will make you think it's an ignition problem.

Luckily, the 2.3L is pretty easy to yank the head off of. It's just heavy.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #18

It's actually pretty common. These things will blow the gasket between cylinders rather than between the cylinder and cooling jacket. The plus might just show rich, which will make you think it's an ignition problem.

Luckily, the 2.3L is pretty easy to yank the head off of. It's just heavy.
It actually showed lean!  I guess the wide band O2 sensor doesn't read raw fuel as rich.  It surprised me on the readings.

I used an engine hoist to lift and put the head back on!!!!  LOL
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300