Skip to main content
Topic: high pitch whistling/rattling noise (Read 1612 times) previous topic - next topic

high pitch whistling/rattling noise

OK...I've been listening to this noise for the past couple weeks, and can't figure out what or where it is coming from. I know this is very vague, but I don't know where to even start. I feel really stupid this time, really stupid to even ask for help with something I can't even explain. It is a very high pitch whistle, or possibly a rattle. I can only hear it real well if I'm running next to a wall, or under an overpass,  but it's a constant noise. The only things I can think to compare to might be similar to a couple of wrenches laying in the floorboard rattling together. It also kind of sounds like wind whistling through a small opening. The sound is noticable at higher speeds (35+), and doesn't change pitch with change in RPM's as I can drop the tranny to neutral and it doesn't change. I can't even distinguish whether it's coming from one side of the car or the other. I believe it's in the front end, but not convinced yet. I am leaning more towards a whistle at this point.

Sound familiar to anyone, or can someone give me an idea where to even start trying to diagnose? Maybe a few questions from someone can help pinpoint the location or help narrow it down.

Anything would be appreciated.

Dave

Re: high pitch whistling/rattling noise

Reply #1
It could be just an exhaust leak. I usualy shove a couple of shop towels in the tailpipe(s) while she running and listen under the car.

When you let of the gas does it go away? Does it happen more at part throtle or full? Have you done any work lately to the car.

Does the car leak any fluids?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
Try dribbling a little water on the serpentine belt.

Reply #3
I tried the belt, but it doesn't do anything at idle, just higher speeds.

I'm not leaking anything. I've put new brakes on the front, but it was doing this before and it didn't change.

When I was driving tonight, I thought it stopped once when I let out of the throttle, but it reappeared immediately before I got back in the throttle, only stopped for a second.

I think it's more of a ping sound after riding next to the divider wall on the interstate today for a long distance. Sounds like metal 'pinging' against metal.

I was checking everything this afternoon, visually, and the only thing I found was a little play in the tie rod end driver side. The upper boot will move 1/8" up or down. I'll be replacing these this weekend, but I can't imagine that causing a noise, would it?

Reply #4
Check your exhaust, especially the shield on the converter. They're notoriously noisey s when the spot welds that hold 'em together rot out and leave the shell loosely clamped to the converter...

It could be detonation, too, but that sounds unlikely if it does it while coasting. Detonation will usually only rear its ugly head under load.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
The shields on the precats are gone. I got tired of hearing it rattle (only had one on pass side). The main cat is new, I had to replace it to pass emissions. I had to have the o-rings replaced for the lines going into the side of the transmission because they started leaking over the precat.

It is a real high pitch sound, not like something banging together like the guards sounded.

You mention detonation, what exactly are you talking about. I admitted once before to being a real  :dunce:  when it comes to most things mechanically related to cars. I'm learning through experience, quite a bit lately I might add.

Thanks to everyone for responding.....

Reply #6
Detonation is more of a pinging sound.  It occurs when you use lower octane fuels or when you're engine is under extreme load.  Hard to describe unless you've heard it before.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #7
Now I remember...just been a long time since I'd heard it called that. Jogged my memory. The sound is much higher pitched than what I've heard with octane issues. I can stomp the throttle at take off and not hear it, only at higher cruise speeds. I have tried to pay a lot more attention, really listen to it close, and it is definately more noticable around 60+ MPH. I said before it was at 35+, but it's not the same sound. I can only hear it with the windows down, so again makes me think external. With the windows down at 60+, lots of road noise makes it hard to really focus directly on it. It also seems to not be on one side or the other, kind of surrounds the front end. Also seems louder in rougher areas of road. Imagine a couple wrenches being hit together very fast, so that the sound is almost solid instead of ping ping ping.

Thanks again...

Dave

Reply #8
License plate loose?
Swaybar link bushings shot and washers jingling?
Left your spare keys on top of the engine?
Get out there and start thumping things.

I once had a weird buzz/whistle on an 81 Monte Carlo, tried to find the noise for months. Finally went out on a nice straight, flat, deserted dead-end road out in farm country with no traffic noise, and no other cars to get in the way. Back and forth a few times, tracked it to the thin plastic filler strip between the windshield glass and chrome trim that was vibrating in the wind like a blade of grass between your thumbs.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #9
Washers jingling...I'm thinking something along this line. The tie rod end on driver side looks to be in need of attention. Otherwise, everything else looks good. I recently replaced the wheel bearings on pass side, but I'm pretty sure the noise was there before. It does sound more like a bearing, bushing, etc.

I don't know, I'll find it sooner or later. I'm gonna have my wife drive it and ride on each side of her to try to determine if it is on one side or the other. I have tried to shake, beat and rattle on everything I can get my hands on. If I figure it out, I'll post.

Thanks again to everyone.

Dave

Reply #10
maybe the deer whistle on the front of your car ?!,  just kidding

honest to god, my fox mustang did that to me fo awhile, found out it was the door or window seals.

take black garbage bags, and tape up the windows inside, at night, and put a light inside the car, see if you notice any light coming out,

how about your hood not being on correctly, the wind could hit that just right, and make a whistle,

Reply #11
I'm still trying to track it down. I can't find anything.

Funny you mentioned the deer whistle 'cause when I first heard it, I looked everywhere thinking maybe...

I will find it...one way or another.