Skip to main content
Topic: guys with tubular k members get in here (Read 2411 times) previous topic - next topic

guys with tubular k members get in here

ok i got a qa1 tubular k member in the car so i can get this bbf swap underhand but ran into a small problem. the wheels stick out of the wheel wells now about 1.5 inches w/stock a -arms . what do i need to do? swap to a mustang arm?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Re: guys with tubular k members get in here

Reply #1
are you running the stock spindle and wheel? i have that k-member on my car but i have 99 mustang spindles and 90 mustang control arms, the reason they stick out is the t-bird k-member is narower than the stang, you can see the difference between the first pic and the second
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #2
i am running svo rotors on stock spindles, running 17x9 cobra r's w/275/40/17's .

id like to pull the wheels in about like your first pic . but without a narrower wheel i dont think it will happen
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
ok got it back together today w/stock a-arms guess i can live with the bow legged look tor now.

have you had anyproblems getting it lined up? like toe and caster?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
no i didnt have any problems getting it aligned i even used mustang camber plates and mustang struts and stock mustang spring from a 90 gt, so i guess it wouldnt be any differentthan getting a mustang aligned but if you have any more questions im here and btw my wheels are 18x9 with 245 40 zr18 tires
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #5
ok thanks for the info
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
I was told that a mustang k-member wouldn't fit the TC.  Did you do anything different to make it fit?
mods: SDS DFI, ported & polished big valve head(1.89/1.59), Solid lifters, Esslinger roller cam #2277,adj. cam pulley, custom upper and ported lower intakes, 60-1 stage III .63 turbo, powerstroke intercooler, 60mm throttle body, 75pph injectors, Walboro 255HP pump, Kirban adj. fuel reg., ATR header, 3" exhaust, MSD 6al, MSD coil, MSD Launch Control, MSD 8.5mm wires, K&N filter,  Spec stage III clutch, Hallman boost controller, Weld Draglites with M/T ET Street 26x11.5/15

Reply #7
Quote from: Glenn 88TC
I was told that a mustang k-member wouldn't fit the TC.  Did you do anything different to make it fit?

i just bolted it in 

i was told the same thing but decided to try it on my own
you will need mustang control arms also. or run a skinny 3.5-4.0 wide on the front

and if keeping the 2.3 use the mustang mounts also
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
I was told it would be too narrow and the something on the k-member would nned cut and lengthened.

I was planning on the entire qa1 stang front suspension.
mods: SDS DFI, ported & polished big valve head(1.89/1.59), Solid lifters, Esslinger roller cam #2277,adj. cam pulley, custom upper and ported lower intakes, 60-1 stage III .63 turbo, powerstroke intercooler, 60mm throttle body, 75pph injectors, Walboro 255HP pump, Kirban adj. fuel reg., ATR header, 3" exhaust, MSD 6al, MSD coil, MSD Launch Control, MSD 8.5mm wires, K&N filter,  Spec stage III clutch, Hallman boost controller, Weld Draglites with M/T ET Street 26x11.5/15

Reply #9
no mods,  other than a 3\8 inch spacer at the top of the frame (see pic on my other post, i am using the qa1 with no problems
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Reply #10
Quote from: cougarman
no mods,  other than a 3\8 inch spacer at the top of the frame (see pic on my other post, i am using the qa1 with no problems

What was the purpose of the 3/8th inch spacer?  This is good to know.  I may put one in when the stroker goes in.

Reply #11
the distance between the rear mount on the k-member and the top mount on a mustang is 3\8 shorter than a t-bird
95 Ranger Splash 2.3