Skip to main content
Topic: So what can we do... (Read 18186 times) previous topic - next topic

So what can we do...

Reply #76
Quote from: gumby;467544
Check out https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ as an example of this.
Very mobile friendly, unobtrusive sidebar ads on a desktop which are pushed to the bottom on a mobile screen.

yes, that's a pretty good representation of what a mobile design should look like.  there's a few things that they show on mobile that do not work well, but overall, it's way better than where this forum stands now.

So what can we do...

Reply #77
Quote from: EricCoolCats;467546
That is very nice...super clean. Jealous of that software!

Yes it is very nice.  What is the next step for this?  Set a date?  Can it all be done in 30 days?  The value buried in here is worth $250 to me alone.
One 88

So what can we do...

Reply #78
Quote from: CougarSE;467561
Yes it is very nice.  What is the next step for this?  Set a date?  Can it all be done in 30 days?  The value buried in here is worth $250 to me alone.

it shouldn't take more than a few hours to upgrade the software and make sure everything is working correctly.

So what can we do...

Reply #79
I'm not trying to argue against a mobile site, but why? I mean, everything works perfectly well on a phone or tablet. I haven't even owned a computer since about 2007.

At least make it so the mobile site is optional. Like a switch to turn it off.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

So what can we do...

Reply #80
I'm not trying to argue against a mobile site, but why? I mean, everything works perfectly well on a phone or tablet. I haven't even owned a computer since about 2007.

I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

So what can we do...

Reply #81
Quote from: Haystack;467573

This site absolutely does not work well on mobile devices..it's terrible.  It's 2018, most people browse sites on their phones so making the site as mobile friendly as possible is basically a necessity at this point.

I typed this up on my phone and it was brutal...

Responsive themes work by scaling automatically based on the screen size.  Typically anything below 1024 pixels and it'll go into mobile mode.

So what can we do...

Reply #82
What made it so brutal? My login is saved. I click on new posts and read the new posts. When I feel like posting a response, I post a response. I do not use any sort of mobile mode on any forum I am on, and it all works exactly like it would on a computer. What makes it so brutal?
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

So what can we do...

Reply #83
For me when I click in the reply text box it auto sizes to be wider than my phone.
One 88

So what can we do...

Reply #84
Quote from: Haystack;467589
What made it so brutal? My login is saved. I click on new posts and read the new posts. When I feel like posting a response, I post a response. I do not use any sort of mobile mode on any forum I am on, and it all works exactly like it would on a computer. What makes it so brutal?

it does not.  you have to constantly zoom in/out on the page just to properly tap buttons and such.  that's not how a responsive/mobile theme works.

actually use a properly done, responsive theme on a phone versus this site, for example, and you'll know the differences between the two.

So what can we do...

Reply #85
The one thing I've noticed is uploading pictures to the site from my phone is IMPOSSIBLE.

I've never been able to do it.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

So what can we do...

Reply #86
It is impossible, at least on an iPhone.
One 88

So what can we do...

Reply #87
Quote from: CougarSE;467623
It is impossible, at least on an iPhone.

That was your first mistake.
It's Gumby's fault.

So what can we do...

Reply #88
Lets not get into phone brand bashing as I hate android based phones (have an iPhone for personal and an Android for work).  What we can all agree on is that our forum needs an upgrade so who would head this up and how much of a headache would it be to do?  What I would be curious to know is how much would the software upgrade be and I would also be in for some $$ to donate to the person that heads this up as doing it for free would just suck.

I think enough of us have expressed and interest that we can get the $$$ rounded up in short order we just need to move forward on this and make it happen.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp