Skip to main content
Topic: Spindles (Read 1872 times) previous topic - next topic

Spindles

Just picked up a K member, A arms, coil over kit and camber caster plates for my 86 TC.  The kit is for the 79 - 93 Fox platforms, so has the shorter A arms.

I have been researching the spindles for these things, and what I think I have figured out, the 79 - 93 will fit.  However the 79-86 are smaller and wont take the bigger brakes, where the 87-93 spindles are all the same (4 and 8 cyl)  and will accept the V8 caliper, rotors etc with a bearing change for the rotors?

Have I got this right, be interested who has a Fox 80sd K member and 5 lug...I know the SN95 spindles will work but I don't want the wheels to be wider than what they are. Drag car, not too worried about turn radius and handling.

Thanks, Gydyup.

Spindles

Reply #1
You might wanna change out your ball joints. Cuz the sn95 spindles have a different taper. So put sn95 ball joints in your fox control arms. Good.

Next, if youre concerned about bumpsteer, you'll want 95-96 spindles. Where the tie rod connects, it's raised a little compared to the 97+ spindles. But if this is a drag car, you might not care about bumpsteer.

Last, where the strut bolts to the spindle, on the fox spindles, that's 1in thick. On sn95 spindles it's 3/4in. So you may or may not need shims.

Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Spindles

Reply #2
Ok, thank you Kyelesburrell,  but I am NOT looking to use SN 95 spindles, I am hopeing to use a set of 87 - 93 Fox  spindles and the question was. Are the 4 and 8 cyl Fox 87 - 93 spindles interchangeable...as far as I can tell, they are, just hoped someone had used them.

Thanks Gydyup

Spindles

Reply #3
Your initial post also asks about 5 lug. To answer your 4 vs 8 fox spindles......no ...the 4 cyl cars are the same as pre 87.

John

Spindles

Reply #4
What he said, 4 bangers never got the bigger brakes.

The only real difference in how the strut mounts as far as what spindles will or won't work. The gt brakes (87-93) do move the spindle out a bit and give more clearance for tires on the strut.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Spindles

Reply #5
Quote from: kylesburrell;464414
You might wanna change out your ball joints. Cuz the sn95 spindles have a different taper. So put sn95 ball joints in your fox control arms. Good.

The taper is the same.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Spindles

Reply #6
Quote from: Chuck W;464420
The taper is the same.

ok, my bad. I know you need a couple washers if you do the fox balljoint + sn95 spindle combo cuz the castle nut will be wayyyy below where the cotter pin goes.

Regardless, sounds like gydyup is just gonna get the 5lug rotors for up front. And then 5lug axle shafts.

-Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Spindles

Reply #7
Odds are, you're going to need new balljoints. Get the ones to fit the spindle, no muss, no fuss.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Spindles

Reply #8
Confusing thread. OP said he has 86 TC and was curious about 5 lug swap. Since 86 TC still has the junk 10" front brakes on it, options are:

1) Keep the junk 10" front brakes and just swap rotors to the Ford Ranger 5 lug, still 10", keep same caliper and everything else.
2)Swap to 87-8 TC spindles or 87-93 Mustang 5.0 spindles for 11" front brakes and use the Lincoln Mark 7 rotors for 5 lug swap. Strut mount pad on spindle is thinner so need to use the spacer plates for existing struts or swap to a 87-93 Mustang 5.0 style strut that has the thinner mount. Also, install new correct ball joints since old ones are likely shot anyhow.
3)Use SN95 5 lug swap since its easier to find now in the salvage yards than the old 80s integrated hub brake junk. I havent seen a Lincoln Mark 7, TC, or fox Mustang in the pick a part yard for well over a year now.

The SN95 stuff may require little more work like line adaptors and master cylinder matching but I wouldnt trust 30 something year old master cylinders or calipers to last much longer when subjected to hauling down any serious effort drag car if that is indeed what OP is building. The 94-95 SN95 spindles dont move the wheels outboard as much as the later spindles do. I would use the 1994 spindles and the 99-04 V6/GT PBR calipers so it will all still fit behind a 15" dragstar front wheel.

Spindles

Reply #9
my 87 TC has spindles from a 96-04 mustang and uses steeda x2 ball joints.  I reached out to maximum motorsports and spoke to Jack Hidley as I was considering swapping them out for the 94-95 spindles as we always read that the 96-04 spindles create too much bumpsteer and throw the angles out of whack compared to the 94-95 spindles.  He mentioned that the 96-04 spindles are just fine in our cars if we use a k-member with a raised forward control arm pivot point or extended ball joints (steeda x2).

Spindles

Reply #10
Yeah I've always used the earlier spindles because its what I had laying around, but nothing wrong with later ones as in your case with the supporting mods. Did you go coilover or stay with seperate strut/spring ?

Spindles

Reply #11
Thanks guys, yep all the options are confusing, but found a really nice article re Saleen and brakes..the Saleen Mustangs used the Lincoln 5 lug Mk VII rotors and calipers etc. Doing some part number cross checking, these also work on the 87-93 V8 Spindles.
So I picked up a set of 93 V8 Spindles of a Fox, should be good to go. Thanks.

Rear is gonna be easy, just havnt decided which way to go, back half, mini tub with coil over n ladders or modified 9 in the stock set up.  I have 9 inch center sections already, a narrowed housing.  The ultimate goal with this car will be swapping in the 521 BB and Jerico out of my Mustang...turning the bird into a dedicated track car, and putting my 67 back as a street car.