Skip to main content
Topic: relay on shock tower? (Read 1490 times) previous topic - next topic

relay on shock tower?

Hi, I pulled the ecm and harness from a 88 thunderbird sport. What is the relay for that is mounted on the pass side shock tower close to the firewall? also a correct wiring diagram for the ecm would really help me out as I would like to thin out the harness.

Thanks

relay on shock tower?

Reply #1
edit: Not sure. I initially thought this was. TC, in those it’s the PRCM among other things in that area.

relay on shock tower?

Reply #2
Quote from: buickv6;463286
Hi, I pulled the ecm and harness from a 88 thunderbird sport. What is the relay for that is mounted on the pass side shock tower close to the firewall? also a correct wiring diagram for the ecm would really help me out as I would like to thin out the harness.

Thanks

Probably the A/C cut out... Only relay I know of under hood of anything other than a Turbo Coupe...

relay on shock tower?

Reply #3
wide open throttle AC cut out relay

EVTM link below in my sig for 88

relay on shock tower?

Reply #4
Thank you all

relay on shock tower?

Reply #5
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;463313
Probably the A/C cut out... Only relay I know of under hood of anything other than a Turbo Coupe...

Yup.

Check the wires leading to the plug. On my car the insulation seemed like it burned/melted off at some point. I ended up replacing the plug and it's been fine since.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

relay on shock tower?

Reply #6
Quote from: thunderjet302;463358
Yup.

Check the wires leading to the plug. On my car the insulation seemed like it burned/melted off at some point. I ended up replacing the plug and it's been fine since.

Common for the insulation to shrink and pull away from the contacts in connector, and very common for the relays on firewall for ABS system of Turbo Coupes to suffer this condition... Ones in mine had approx ¾" of bare wire showing...

relay on shock tower?

Reply #7
when i retrofitted my son's original v6 car to a v8 harness, i found several connectors with this issue.

since i knew that there was no solve to the problem unless i cut and recrimp new ends,,, i simply extracted each conductor from the connector, added a section of heat shrink long enough to span the showing copper and then re-installed the wire.  this was about all i could do to remedy this problem.