Skip to main content
Topic: My Thunderbird Died Driving On Road Please Help (Read 3631 times) previous topic - next topic

My Thunderbird Died Driving On Road Please Help

Reply #15
I tried using a paper clip like this youtube video showed to get some engine codes so I have some info but did not do it right

I had the battery out of the car charging for a day so wonder if it affected it

Reply #16
for code pulling click on my diy link,,, boat load of info in there but..........

i am back now,,,, been out of the office for the morning but got your VM, call back

Reply #17
Quote from: jcassity;463326
for code pulling click on my diy link,,, boat load of info in there but..........

i am back now,,,, been out of the office for the morning but got your VM, call back

My computer phone died during our conversation but I wanted to thank you for all your help and it was wonderful speaking to you on the phone as you had a ton of incredible info on these cars

I just came back in from doing the spark test ,

I got an old 2 cycle plug from one of my old 2 stroke Saabs and put it in the cable and jumped the starter and no spark  of any type occurred when grounding it on the shock tower

just in case the plug was no good I popped a plug off my lawn mower which I knew was good and tried it again and again no spark

is it correct that it is more than likely the culprit is the external module on the distributor

Reply #18
does anyone know the correct part number for the TFI module I will need for my 1984 3.8 6 cylinder T-Bird?

Reply #19
Great news.. now you know your problem.

Get on Rock Auto and check a new one,, or go to the dealer,, they still sell them if you want one that will last another 30+ years

Reply #21
Quote from: jcassity;463442
update?

Likely a drive by poster, long gone into the sunset...

Engine may be locked up by now, good possibility that indicator was for no oil pressure...

Reply #22
I didn't get the module yet , had a friend stop by and he said he wanted to check inside the dist cap

so he popped it off and saw the pick up on the inside edge had the rubber-like  coating crumbling apart with large bits of it fallen down the dist , ha also saw that the metal tip of the rotor was bent when it  hit a piece of the rubber debris

he said with no spark first thing to do is to check the coil then if it is ok then maybe replace the module inside the dist since it could have been damaged by the crumbling debris from the side pick up like the rotor was

Reply #23
Quote from: jcassity;463338
Great news.. now you know your problem.

Get on Rock Auto and check a new one,, or go to the dealer,, they still sell them if you want one that will last another 30+ years

The ones from the dealer aren't true Motorcraft anymore.
It's Gumby's fault.