Skip to main content
Topic: memory seat module (Read 4413 times) previous topic - next topic

memory seat module

20th anny car here with AOD

gutted interior in order to remove and clean carpet and discovered something new.
car has sat since dec 2016 due to a deer hit.

car inherited a few odd ball symtoms while sitting such as:
High idle- fixed that = iac was stuck one way or the other,, suspect corrosion started to build up on the slider ball valve.

NO over drive & shifting points happened only at 2500rpm-fixed that= son must have floored the gas when he hit the deer in an OH  moment and inverted the trans TV linkage where it was jammed in the WOT position.

driver power seat functions INOP.

driver seat has no motorized functions at all except heated seats relay does engage.

took cover off memory seat module and inside it i manually CLOSED the indivdual ice cube relays and all seat functions/motors work with memory module installed to specs.

I could not get any activity out of the door mounted memory seat set switches.

found no wiring problems on any of the connectors under the seat.
The LED light is not on at the memory seat module.

CB & power input with console switches manipulated arrive up to the input of the memory module mother board, i get power in at the memory module.
the console switches are upstream of the memory module.  all motors are downstream of the memory module.

The expected memory module output cooresponding wire does not send DC volts out to the motors.

I have continuity on the main ground wire.  I have not looked in the evtm to locate the actual ground lug point on chassis.

visual inspection of mother board and using a magnefying glass i can see no visual problems.

any help appreciated , perhaps i need to check something else?

I did notice and dont understand why i have a conductor called out in the evtm to go out to the transmission speed sensor!

memory seat module does not get warm anywhere when i make/close & hold closed for a long period of time one of the console seat control switches.

as a temp solve, i manually closed various ice cube relays on the memory module by hand to position the seat where its most comfortable.  This way i can install the driver seat
without a memory module.

I want to ship this off to someone else to verify on thier car it is bad or good,,, and/or locate a memory module someone may have in thier d for sale if possible.
I have the driver seat set now so the wife or I can be seated comfortably.

oddly i dont think i remember this thing acting up prior to the deer hit.

memory seat module

Reply #1
Here is a write-up from the '93 Continental shop manual.
I am guessing the speed sensor input to the control module is to keep you from recalling a different seat position while the car is moving.
The Continental does this by requiring the trans be in park or neutral.

It also says the seat sensors can keep it from working.

memory seat module

Reply #2
that last sentence is my exact problem.

I better try to look for these sensors they speak of on the sseat track before i bolt down the drivers seat.

thanks!

memory seat module

Reply #3
I looked all through my shop manuals last night and found nothing,,,, **NOT A SINGLE DOspoogeENT** pretaining to memory seats.

which shop manual can i find info on this system?

Also,  i was completely unaware of any seat track sensors but i will take your word for it.  I am unable to find any seat track sensor info unless i am not looking in the right manual.

Is there a seat presure switch in these cars?,, seems i recall someone here years ago talking of such a thing.

memory seat module

Reply #4
The blurb I posted is from the '93 continental shop manual. I should have done more studying before I posted it.
Looking at the '87 Tbird/Coug EVTM, I don't see any sensor inputs to the drivers seat memory module.(other that the speed sensor)
Sorry.

memory seat module

Reply #5
Been comparing the 87 and 93 EVTMs. The wire colors and circuit numbers match up between the two.
87 EVTM page 192. Drivers seat motor assembly at the bottom. The 93 EVTM shows three hall effect sensors as part of that assembly.
87 EVTM page 195. There are two unlabeled cable connectors on the memory module. I think one of them is for the seat motors. Check wire color codes on page 192.

The other unlabeled connector?? The 93 EVTM shows the sensor wire codes as: GY/BK  R/W  R/LG  Y/LB

memory seat module

Reply #6
Is the starter relay hooked up?
I think maybe the memory neutral module (page 193) needs to see ground (through the starter relay) on circuit 32 R/LB, when the ignition switch is NOT in START.

memory seat module

Reply #7
LOL ,, wow...
the infamous RED / Light blue wire.
man do i have a boat load of time converting a CFI 87 V6 to a V8 dealing with that wire and the path it takes around the world to include the transmission harness.  it actually changes colors completely.

Yes the starter relay is connected.  I have been driving the car very often since after the paint work.

87evtm page 194 calls out memory neutral module as being under the drivers seat.

it implies it is a separate module but there is nothing else but the memory seat module.

perhaps the memory neutral module is a part of the memory seat module.?

i am going to speculate that the neutral module just might be a part of the huge ass switch assembly on the actual door itself.  hate to do it but i need to take that door panel back off and see if i hurt a wire on the memory seat button assembly.  there are a bunch of wires going to it.

perhaps the evtm is wrong showing the Neutral module as a different item?

memory seat module

Reply #8
The 93 EVTM does not have a memory neutral module. The same wires just go to the memory module, except there is no speed sensor wire.
The reason I suspected the R/LB wire is because the 98 EVTM taps into it between the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch. So the NSS has to be closed for it to "see" the starter relay ground. This is why they say you must be in Park or Neutral before you can "recall" a different seat position.

From the 93 shop manual: there is a white self test button on top of the module. Push the button and the led should blink 4 to 6 times if all is good.
If there are no blinks or less than 4 or more than 6 something is bad.

If bad, there is an "out of vehicle" test procedure to see if it is the module or something external to the module. I'll hold off on posting this procedure until you see if you need it.

memory seat module

Reply #9
I think the memory neutral module is the single wire red/LB jumpered connector shown.  none of the other wires are in the game per the EVTM.

another shot showing all connectors plugged in.

I had one connector that just lost its integrity compeletly so i temp mocked up the connections.

memory seat module

Reply #10
Man, you have that thing down to parade rest.
Self test disabled? I guess you can forget that test.

memory seat module

Reply #11
Pics
The second pic looks like a factory delete of the memory neutral module.
Can you back-probe the R/LB wire for 12v while cranking?

memory seat module

Reply #12
i wanted to but the sky looked mean and ready to dump on me.

buttoned up everything on the car including the omitting of the memory seat module.

your pointing to an "output wire i think..
shouldnt i back probe an input red/lb wire for 12v in "start"?

what you are seeing is a group of 5 wires that was a part of a six pin connector that failed.
not sure what your shrink tube comment in the pic was?

memory seat module

Reply #13
sorry softtouch,, im gonna get that red/blue question answered tomorrow.

i have to understand more about "WHICH" red blue wire that i know you want me to check.

memory seat module

Reply #14
for the heck of it,, i decided to pull codes since having taken out my memory seat module i get a check engine light.

this is an 87 5.0L

currently and over the past two years i have had two oxegen sensors simply plugged in and hanging in the engine bay.
i have gotten 25mpg easy and no check engine light till this memory seat module thing came up ,, which came up only after my son hit a deer.

Active codes are:
82 2.3L TC - Fan Control wire shorted to ground - A/C and Fan Circuits
 AIRB solenoid - Solenoids and Air Injection

memory codes are:
29 Vehicle Speed Sensor problem - VSS

34 EVP - (R) EGR did not respond properly during test - EVP
 EVR - (O, R, M) EVP sensor is/was high - EVR
 PFE - (O, R, M) PFE sensor is/was out of range - PFE

41 (R) System lean - Fuel control
 (M) System was lean for 15 seconds or more (no HO2S switching) - Fuel control

91 (R, M) System running lean - Fuel control
 Transmission SS 1 circuit/solenoid problem - Transmissions