Skip to main content
Topic: Headliner, Tips/Advice ? (Read 1181 times) previous topic - next topic

Headliner, Tips/Advice ?

Need to replace my headliner in my 87 bird. Is this something I can do on my own or should I get a quote from an upholstery shop? My concern is it not being smooth and having wrinkles. Will the rear panels have to be removed or just lose? Thanks as always, Ray
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Headliner, Tips/Advice ?

Reply #1
I loosened the rear panels and took everything else off. It was tough to get out. Broke the rear view mirror off on accident, but this was on my 83 cougar. The tbird would have more room in the back window area to slide it backwards

It looks pretty straight forward to me. There was a ton of loose foam and insulation, but it all came out pretty easy. I'd probably redo all the foam. Thinkness really isn't that important. Lots of wiggle room there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Headliner, Tips/Advice ?

Reply #2
My concern is I will damage the board trying to get it out & back in. Or will it bend and bow quite a bit?
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Headliner, Tips/Advice ?

Reply #3
It not bad at all.  Just take it slow.  You will have to remove a lot of plastic trim pieces and I cant remember, but i believe I lowered the steering column.    You need 2 people to put the new material on smoothly.

Headliner, Tips/Advice ?

Reply #4
I replaced the headliner in my '84 earlier this summer and was able to do everything myself.  Removing the headliner board wasn't difficult at all.  It was necessary for me to remove the front seatbelts from the B-pillar.  I found a nylon bristle brush made quick work of the foam without damaging the headliner board.  I reinstalled my headliner myself but it would have been nice to have a buddy to help me.  I found reattaching the sunvisor hardware the trickiest part of the whole process!  I had to use a jewler's screwdriver to search for the holes in the body where the hardware attached.  Just be patient and you'll be happy with the results!