Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone used rear disc's from a Mark VII for 5 lug swap? (Read 1318 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone used rear disc's from a Mark VII for 5 lug swap?

I already have a turbocoupe rear in my 1988 Sport. I want to swap to 5 lug. I know the Mustang stuff is available but the Mark VII have vented rear rotors. Can you use the axles, disc and calipers on the turbocoupe rear diff for a 5 lug swap or is there issues?
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #1
The mark's are an inch wider I believe, so the mount points for the caliper brackets will be different. I think the 97 ranger passenger side axles are a dir ft swap for 5 lug, but some searching would be needed to confirm.

Reply #2
Mark VII rear brakes will work.

With that said, before you pull the trigger and get Mark VII parts, think about your wheel selection. Sancho is correct about the Mark axles being longer. I can't remember the exact amount at this point, but I want to say it's 1.25" wider per side.

If you can, see if you can track down a 91-92 Mark VII for parts. They use the same caliper and abutment bracket as the Turbo Coupe. All you need to swap is the axles, rotors, and the brackets that mount the caliper and dust shield. I did this swap years ago on a previous car, and it worked very well.

You can see how far the rear wheels are pushed out compared to stock. Those are just a stock Mustang 16" wheel. It looked really good, but I never tried putting any other wheels on it.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #3
tbird232ti, It does look good for sure how the wheels sit. I was just looking for the easier swap but being able to retain the turbocoupe calipers if possible. I was not sure if the Mark used bigger brake calipers or not. I found a 88 mark in the yard but was not sure if it was an easy swap.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #4
The 85-90 Mark does indeed use larger rotors and different calipers in the rear. Part of that is to balance out the use of the 73mm front calipers that they use.

I understand the lack of appeal that the solid rear rotors have from the SN95 mustangs, but the beauty is that you have upgrade options. You can start with the stock SN95 stuff from the junkyard, and then upgrade to Cobra brakes, or other aftermarket options.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
Holy shiznit guys, are you kidding me?  The only reason you should even care about the solid rotors in the rear is if you plan to road race the car.  I ran the SN95 rear brakes on my Coupe for over 5 years and never had an issue and the car was my daily driver with a full Maximum Motorsports road race suspension.  I even put the car on a track a few times and had zero issues.  Sold the rear setup to another guy (he turned the rear rotors and put them on) when I moved up to the Cobra brake package due to moving up in hp on the motor.

The vented rears keep brake fade from happening due to excessive heat so unless you are going to road race the car they are not necessary.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp