Skip to main content
Topic: Got me an 83 (Read 4129 times) previous topic - next topic

Got me an 83

I just got this 83 turbo coupe last week going to do something with it I haven't figured out where I'm headed yet though.

It's got an 87 gt 5.0, 87 turbo coupe rear end 3.55 With discs.  88 GT front brakes. T5 tranny.  Car needs some body work the interior is rough the front end sags pretty good.  I am going to put 5.0 springs out front and maybe sn95 struts?

Will post a picture when I get home.

Got me an 83

Reply #1
Here is a picture I managed to get up to photobucket is there any better picture sharing sites all these ads I don't think used to be there.

Got me an 83

Reply #2
You got a great start since several mods have already been done. I like the color. All of my cars, save one, are blue.
1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 EFI AOD, 3.73:1 SN95 rear, 17" Mustang Bullitts w/Firestone WO Indy 500's. Future plan: 349 stroker, C9 block, forged dish pistons, Scat 9000 crank, 4340 I beam rods, ARP head/main studs, ported explorer intake, 1.72 CC RR, Vortech V2 supercharger, Mr. Freeze Meth Inj, intercooler, TFS 190 11R CNC heads (66CC), BBK shorties with 2.5" duals, 4R70W Transmission, Taurus fan.

Got me an 83

Reply #3
Nice!  I had to go outside and check to see if my car was still after reading your first post! Sounded like you bought my car! lol
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

Got me an 83

Reply #4
I learned a lot by searching the posts here and seeing everyone's builds.  I am curious if any of you have recommendations on wheels?  I like the minilite/panasport look and hoping to find some for this car.  The tires on it now are too tall and I'm not a fan of these wheels.

This weekend I hope to install my KYB rear shocks and put new brake pads on.  I'm hesitant on what rear springs I should run or stick with stock.  Also I found kyb adjustable struts for the 87-93 mustang that I'm tempted to purchase.

Got me an 83

Reply #5
I've got a set of wheels and tires for sale that I'm trying to get rid of. I can send pics if interested
-Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Got me an 83

Reply #6
Try a set of sn-95 springs for the rear.

The front struts for a stang are an inch or two shorter, just a fyi.

The rears can use mustang shocks if you flip the rear shock bracket. You will need to drill a hole though for the tab.

Btw, any 87-93 mustang rim should fit and be the same offset.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Got me an 83

Reply #7
Quote from: kylesburrell;462051
I've got a set of wheels and tires for sale that I'm trying to get rid of. I can send pics if interested
-Kyle

What style wheels do you have?  I am interested in something different than whats on the car. 

Haystack with the struts being shorter will they not bolt up?  I read a long post that I believe Darren(?) posted that had a really detailed layout of running stock springs from moog all around, KYB thunderbird rear shocks and some struts for a 87-93 mustang if you have the 11" brakes?

Got me an 83

Reply #8
They will bolt up, but you will lose a bit if travel. The front looks like it may be lowered a bit, but that might just be the size of the front tires.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Got me an 83

Reply #9
The front is all kinds of messed up right now.  I just put in the KYB shocks as the Monroe's out back were wooped.  I am going for about an inch lower than stock but at the moment the front seems collapsed and no travel.  I do need to get these giant tires off there too lol.  They're 225/60r16 all around.  I was lost when it came to the suspension until I searched this site you guys have lots of incredible information and actual first hand experience of what works and what doesn't.

Got me an 83

Reply #10
A 225/60r16 is only 26.5" tall vs a stock sized tire right around 26". My guess is a really high spring rate front spring, maybe even a lowering spring for a fox stang. Fox springs drop the car about an inch, then if it was a 1-2" drop spring for a mustang, you might be sitting on the bump stops.

Id try sn-95 springs all around and see where it sits. A few people here run them and really like the slight drop compared to our stock springs.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Got me an 83

Reply #11
Thanks Haystack!  I think that might be the route I go.  Also anyone have experience with KYB AGX struts?

The KYB 734014 (for sn95 mustang) is 20.83 and compressed is 14.57 compressed. 
The KYB 235002 (83 Tbird Excel-G) is 19.45 extended and 14.17 compressed.  (for comparison sake)
The KYB 734013 (for Fox mustang) is 19.25 extended and 13.15 compressed.

I'm not sure which one to go with out of the AGX series, it seems the extended length is closer with the Fox but I would have slightly extra travel for the compressed so this should work better if I lower the car slightly with the SN95 springs?  The more I read about it the more conflicting views I see.  Aerocoupe posted to run Fox struts and Coolcats says DO NOT use fox struts.

Got me an 83

Reply #12
Quote from: ZachReynolds;462064
Thanks Haystack!  I think that might be the route I go.  Also anyone have experience with KYB AGX struts?

The KYB 734014 (for sn95 mustang) is 20.83 and compressed is 14.57 compressed. 
The KYB 235002 (83 Tbird Excel-G) is 19.45 extended and 14.17 compressed.  (for comparison sake)
The KYB 734013 (for Fox mustang) is 19.25 extended and 13.15 compressed.

I'm not sure which one to go with out of the AGX series, it seems the extended length is closer with the Fox but I would have slightly extra travel for the compressed so this should work better if I lower the car slightly with the SN95 springs?  The more I read about it the more conflicting views I see.  Aerocoupe posted to run Fox struts and Coolcats says DO NOT use fox struts.

I would just run tbird/cougar struts and shocks if your keeping stock brakes. If you do end up lowering it some sn95 shocks would be nice.
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Got me an 83

Reply #13
Quote from: Moonmount;462065
I would just run tbird/cougar struts and shocks if your keeping stock brakes. If you do end up lowering it some sn95 shocks would be nice.

I have 88 Mustang GT brakes and spindles up front.  I just put Tbird shocks on the rear.

Got me an 83

Reply #14
Quote from: ZachReynolds;462056
What style wheels do you have?  I am interested in something different than whats on the car. QUOTE]

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/wto/d/full-set-4/6185791628.html
^^^ link to the set of wheels and tires im selling.
-Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.