Skip to main content
Topic: Why do you guys love 83-88 T-Birds & Cougars so much? (Read 5308 times) previous topic - next topic

Why do you guys love 83-88 T-Birds & Cougars so much?

Reply #15
Quote from: Haystack;461957
The mn-12 cars had a ton of issues. They rusted thru when they were just a few years old, had a super complicated and relatively fragile suspension for a 4000lb car (a base model v-6 with low options weighed over 3800lbs) and had a ton of odd small problems and recalls.

My friends mom was a real estate agent. One house she sold belonged to an old couple that owned a 94 xr7 (4.6 v-8) with 35k on it, and this was in about 2005. They bought it and gave it to my buddys little sister. abs light was on (still original brakes), the transmission had been replaced(why? Really low milegae) the speedometer didnt work, but the odometer did, and even though it was garage kept (paint and interior were flawless) it had holes every where.

When we took it in for emissions, they put the car up on the lift, and the jacking points went through the car. They showed us where the outside paint looked perfect, but all the metal underneath had rusted away. It was a fun car to drive, especially with the independent rear. Went to a junkyard at around 65k miles a few years after.

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;461959
Nuff said...

Around 10 years ago I owned a '95 with Eibach springs & 17" wheels, handled like it was on rails and rode decent, but it wasn't my '88... At 72K front suspension was already on way out, sold it in less than a year... Also it had the wimpy ass 4.6 that I despise as a performance engine(not a engine, it's a appliance, only engine I loathe more is the Ford 3.8), if it'd had a 5.0 I may have kept it...

I agree with both of these posts. I had a 95 3.8 V6 Thunderbird for 4 years and 25K miles. The weight was nuts. I think my 88 Thunderbird is heavy (~3565 with no driver) but that 95 was about a 100lbs heavier with just the V6 and base options. I bought the 95 with 69K miles on it. By 75K the front suspension was shot. All the control arms, shocks, and end links had to be changed. Compare that with my 88 Thunderbird where the front suspension was still tight with over 100K miles. I changed parts because they were old, more so than they were worn out. The MN-12 had a nice ride and handled pretty good, they were let down by a fragile suspension.

As far as mod motors go the only ones worth a  are the 4.6 4V or the 5.0 Coyote. I'll take a 5.0 Windsor over a 4.6 2V or 3V any day of the week. I know the 4.6 2V and 3V can make good power with a blower but I'm more of a N/A guy.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #16
Quote from: midnight cat;461953
Why was the 91 a POS? After all, it was a next gen car with the longer wheelbase, better ride, better suspension, better looking (according to FOMOCO), etc. etc.

I paid $11k for it in 1994 with 50k miles on it. Not six months later I had to replace the front control arms and stabilizer links. About six months later all the brakes needed replacing (I know, maintenance, but still). Six months after that, while on my way home from vacation in up state New York, the car caught fire (ignition switch - this very car was largely responsible for the infamous Ford ignition switch recall). 700 miles from home. When it caught fire I made one of the biggest mistakes in my life: I pulled the battery cable and put the fire out. Six months later, I took it to the work christmas party and blew a head gasket on the way in. Replaced the head gaskets, drove it for another 8 months before it started knocking really bad. Spun #4 rod bearing (probably bent the rod when the head gasket went, the engine did hydrolock). Rebuilt the engine and drove it for another year before the body had become so rusted that I had to sell it as a parts car. The rocker panels and door bottoms had rusted completely away. It was just over 5 years old - just outside the corrosion warranty - and had approx. 90k on it.

This was just the major stuff. I am not mentioning the myriad of small problems that plagued the car from day one. I made the decision then that I would never own another MN12.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #17
Wow! I had no idea the 89-97 Cougars & T-Birds had so many issues. When they came out in 89 I'd rent them on business trips. They were great road cars when they were NEW! I've never seen a rusty one in Texas but obviously up North it's a different story. I still see them on the road once in a while down here but I never see Foxbody cars on the road or in junkyards here anymore.

Reply #18
No love for the post '88 years. I drove one for awhile (ex wife's '89 Bird), the engine and trans held up, it was the rest of the piece of shiznit that was junk. Doors wouldn't shut, then they wouldn't open. Glass came off tracks. Seats didn't work. Rust? Don't get me started on the rust. Pretty sure the paint was all that was left holding the quarters and rockers on (well, what ever was left of 'em).

God help me if I ever get another '88 car, I'll never get rid of it. IDGAF if it's even a V6.  Junky shiznit can be swapped as long as the body and subframe and strut towers aren't cancerous.

I found a Sport locally about 6 months ago, but the old lady wouldn't come off of 1500...needed a trans and had engine issues, for me, would have gotten replaced with my 5.0 in the sig and a T5, and bye bye Mustang, but the fates said no, so...

Co worker has an '87 TC but wants 1500 for it. Needs an engine. (as in, needs 5.0 swapped)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #19
Foxbodies. 

My first 2 cars were cougar foxbodies.  They just feel comfortable and smooth riding.  I owned several early 80's Mustangs, I really liked them, but I wanted a Cougar back.  Got a 88 with a 5.0 and just like it so much more.

Most of the Mustang upgrades work on our cars, and you see Cougars/Birds about as much as bigfoot monster, around here.

I just miss the fact there are no cars left for parts, and NOS stuff is pretty dried up or so overpriced.
Mike

Reply #20
My FN10 (the Lincoln version of the MN12) is at 86,000 miles. Front strut rods need new bushings (good luck finding good replacements), the 'Door Ajar' light was constantly on (Had to clean out and lube the driver door lock system inside the door), and it needed front wheel bearing something fierce (I bought it at 68,000 miles). The rear wheel bearings died a short time later, along with the pre-'98 4R70W transmission failure. The MN/FN chassis was NOT one of Fords 'Better Ideas' at all.

With respects to the 4.6L DOHC engine: (personal opinion alert here) It IS a performance engine, with a huge aftermarket and heads (right from the factory) that need no work to support 800hp. The Teksid block is STRONG and LIGHT, with 6-bolt mains. I am a pushrod guy, but this Modular is impressive.

Why love the LIMA 2.3L? It started out as a junk motor that would cone the cylinder walls in 20,000 miles. Oiling issues and sheared distributor drive gears were common. Once the problems were addressed, the engine became a good little unit. SAME with the 4.6L.

Reply #21
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;461971
No love for the post '88 years. I drove one for awhile (ex wife's '89 Bird), the engine and trans held up, it was the rest of the piece of shiznit that was junk. Doors wouldn't shut, then they wouldn't open. Glass came off tracks. Seats didn't work. Rust? Don't get me started on the rust. Pretty sure the paint was all that was left holding the quarters and rockers on (well, what ever was left of 'em).

God help me if I ever get another '88 car, I'll never get rid of it. IDGAF if it's even a V6.  Junky shiznit can be swapped as long as the body and subframe and strut towers aren't cancerous.

I found a Sport locally about 6 months ago, but the old lady wouldn't come off of 1500...needed a trans and had engine issues, for me, would have gotten replaced with my 5.0 in the sig and a T5, and bye bye Mustang, but the fates said no, so...

Co worker has an '87 TC but wants 1500 for it. Needs an engine. (as in, needs 5.0 swapped)

I Found my 86 Bird on a Craigslist ad in Portland, Oregon. Bought it sight unseen for $1,700 and had it shipped across the country to NE Ohio. I've never seen such a rust free 30 year old car. No rust anywhere, not even underneath. For some reason, there were a lot of fox Birds and Cats in Oregon. Don't ask me why, but a good place to start a search.
1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 EFI AOD, 3.73:1 SN95 rear, 17" Mustang Bullitts w/Firestone WO Indy 500's. Future plan: 349 stroker, C9 block, forged dish pistons, Scat 9000 crank, 4340 I beam rods, ARP head/main studs, ported explorer intake, 1.72 CC RR, Vortech V2 supercharger, Mr. Freeze Meth Inj, intercooler, TFS 190 11R CNC heads (66CC), BBK shorties with 2.5" duals, 4R70W Transmission, Taurus fan.

Reply #22
Good to know. I like my old 86 Cougar more all the time. Just the other day on Ebay someone was selling a 88 TC with about 500 miles on it - all original and asking for over $30,000. Black car & looked mint.

Reply #23
Quote from: thunderjet302;461962
As far as mod motors go the only ones worth a  are the 4.6 4V or the 5.0 Coyote. I'll take a 5.0 Windsor over a 4.6 2V or 3V any day of the week. I know the 4.6 2V and 3V can make good power with a blower but I'm more of a N/A guy.

The 4.6 3V in my 2006 Mustang GT was a good runner, but I generally agree. The modular is enormous (Boss 429 like girth) and the $$/HP to modify them much higher than the Windsor platform. Ten years down the road, more and more hot rods will be LS powered as the Windsor blocks get harder to find.
1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 EFI AOD, 3.73:1 SN95 rear, 17" Mustang Bullitts w/Firestone WO Indy 500's. Future plan: 349 stroker, C9 block, forged dish pistons, Scat 9000 crank, 4340 I beam rods, ARP head/main studs, ported explorer intake, 1.72 CC RR, Vortech V2 supercharger, Mr. Freeze Meth Inj, intercooler, TFS 190 11R CNC heads (66CC), BBK shorties with 2.5" duals, 4R70W Transmission, Taurus fan.

Reply #24
The DOHC 4.6 is an ok engine....it's the 2v that is suck, stock.

As for the LS, the availability and cheapness of the engine itself is it's biggest point. By the time you source a transmission, do the mounts, fuel, and engine management, you're not going to be much in the difference in the long run. To go fast requires $ and a pile of it, matters not the logo on the valve covers.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #25
Because they are Fox-chassied cars that aren't Mustangs...

The MN-12 platform is kind of a pig. Never been a fan.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #26
I have previously owned 84,86 and currently own an 83 T-bird. The curves of the body style have always just done it for me but I truly love the way I feel when i drive one!
The ride and handling are smooth and the way the interior wraps around me like a pen 15pit.......makes me smile everytime i drive.

Reply #27
my first thunderbird is actually a quite large one, a 1978.  still have it, poor old car deserves a proper restoration.  I fell in love with Thunderbirds in general, it's always bee na bot of an exclusive club, there just isn't as many Tbirds out there as there are other cars.  Ive had over 20 birds in my day, most of which landed in the 77-79 body, but as i went through college, i had a streak of 3 different 89-97 Tbirds.  While the ride was nice, and they made great overall drivers, they are quite pricey to repair when you buy them already run down.  the cost of the rear suspension components alone nearly shook me.

Ive always kind of admired the fox birds, but never had one before i picked up my 87 last fall.  It has the thunderbird feel to it, but as many others have stated, there is a huge Fox body aftermarket support. And most of all, i am one who believes "simplicity is bliss" and so a solid axle and other very simple aspects to the build of the car has drawn me in.

Reply #28
I like the 83 - 88 cars for their smooth, graceful and simple lines.  The designers knew when to put the pencil down when they created these cars.  They still look good today.

Reply #29
Quote from: QUICKSHIFT;461942
I always liked to be the odd guy. When I started racing,everyone would build a Chevy. Parts for them were dime a dozen. You could always find used manifolds,cams and heads where Ford stuff was scarse. When I turned good numbers from a limited selection of parts, I got more respect than the other guys.
As far as my Cougar goes, how many stangs do you see? Now, how many Cougars /T Birds do you see? When I go to a cruise night,I get a great sense of satisfaction with the interest people show as compared to all the other Fox Stangs. Don't get me wrong, I respect the Stangs as well as all other Fords........I just like to be different.

I do have to say when i go to car shows my car gets alot of attention even though its very rough
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum