Skip to main content
Topic: 1985 3.8 starts, but immediately dies (Read 1120 times) previous topic - next topic

1985 3.8 starts, but immediately dies

I removed the tubing for the AIR injection system on my '85 Thunderbird back on the first week in May. I decided to put it up for sale shortly afterwards. Unfortunately, I haven't had any buyers (I still don't know why) and the car sat for about a month un-driven. I was going to go take it to the car wash yesterday afternoon, but when I went to start it, it started right up, and promptly died. It did this for about 5-6 attempts, then finally stayed running. This has continued today, each time I shut the car off, requiring at least 5-6 attempts to get running. I immediately checked the vacuum lines I plugged when removing the AIR system. Everything looked the same. I ran a bottle of fuel stabilizer through it, but it didn't help. This evening I tried about 15 attempts and it still wouldn't start, so I had to leave it at the grocery store and have it towed to a friend's shop.

It seems like it might be something electrical, since it has almost always eventually started. Is there a sensor or module I should look into?

Thanks!
Cornfed85

1985 Thunderbird - 3.8 V6, C5  :ford:  :birdsmily:

Reply #1
Sounds like the several times I've had problems with ignition switches
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #2
Ignition switch, as in the one you put your key into?
Cornfed85

Reply #3
Quote from: Cornfed85;461154
Ignition switch, as in the one you put your key into?

No the key fits into lock, the switch is inside column on left hand side...

Reply #4
Oh. I gotcha. Ok, I'll check that out
Cornfed85